Friday, September 28, 2007

DON'T LOOK BACK
Karin Fossum
Personal Rating: 4.25/5
Yearly Count: 90




This new-to-America author's work was originally published in Norwegian and now has been translated into 16 languages. DON'T LOOK BACK is the 2nd in the series of Inspector Sejer, but the 1st in America. (Since my original post, I have read several conflicting reports of what's what regarding the order of the Sejer series. This is the series order I'm going with until I hear differently.)

Inspector Sejer has a quiet, but steadfast approach to solving a crime that shakes up a small Norwegian village with the realization that one of their own teenagers has been murdered. As Sejer investigates door to door, his list of virtually no suspects turns into a running list of many.

This mystery is not a thriller, but it still had me intrigued and quickly turning the pages. I enjoyed the steady flow of the police procedural process and the even-keeled main characters. I will definitely be reading more by Fossum.

*Recommended By: Book Chase

7 comments:

  1. This does sound good, Joy! I haven't read too many Scandanavian authors, but I'm coming across them more and more here in the U.S. It's good to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The translation was done very well, so it reads smoothly. I think there was only one time that I thought, huh? (Although, that could have just been me.) :) It does contain the original names of people and places, so that was a little weird, but it worked out in the long run.

    I'm disappointed that I can't quite get the exact order of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever read a book set in Norway. This one sounds like a good one to start with. Thanks for your review. YOu always read such interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds very good. I love mysteries without a lot of gore or scariness. And I love mysteries that take me far away. I've never read anything about Norway. I'm adding this one (or the first book!?!) to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Framed ~ I don't know what I missed, so in that respect it was fine to start with this one. :) I often (by mistake) have read series out of order, but I'm really trying to make an effort to do it right. :)

    Debd ~ This one is perfect for not a lot of gore or scariness. There were tiny parts of gore, but nothing overwhelming and nothing scary that I can remember. I have read so many scary gory books lately that this was refreshing, even though there was a murder.

    As for taking you far away, yes you can tell you are somewhere else, but it didn't have a lot of descriptive scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see that you enjoyed this one, Joy.

    Of the four Fossum books I've read, I think that The Indian Bride is my favorite. Don't miss that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sam ~ I won't! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!