Friday, October 12, 2007

TBR Challenge

EVEN STEVEN
John Gilstrap
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 96




I was enjoying this novel until about 3/4 of the way through, then it took a turn for the worse and continued downhill. The entire ending was overly dramatized and extremely disappointing. Also, I never developed much attachment to any of the characters, especially since there were so many different storylines going on. They were all interesting and tied together, yet the depth of the individuals was missing causing difficulty in sustaining any real concern for them.

This novel holds many unique characters and circumstances, but in general, a young boy is kidnapped and a man and his wife get swooped up in the crime. Their participation creates much more turmoil and ridiculous turn of events than necessary and ended up being over the top. The general plot was a great idea; it just wasn't executed well.


3 comments:

  1. Isn't Even Steven the title of a TV show too? ;-)

    I haven't heard of this author or book before. That's too bad it petered out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a disappointment after enjoying most of the book. I think I will steer clear of this one. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Literary Feline ~ I'm not aware of a TV show. I LOVED Nathan's Run by Gilstrap, but At All Costs wasn't as good. This one ... well, you already know. I do like his style of writing though.

    Framed ~ Try Nathan's Run. It was very good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!