Friday, February 29, 2008

THE INVENTION OF HUGO CABRET

Brian Selznick
Genre: Children
Published: 2007
Personal Rating: 4.25/5
Yearly Count: 28




Hugo Cabret, an orphaned child of twelve, lives in the walls of a train station in Paris and he has a secret. A secret that has kept him safe, thus far. The mystery behind this graphic novel is based on his secret and it's in jeopardy of being found out.


While reading this in one sitting, I found it to be fascinating - until the ending. Even though many characters had unflattering traits, the storyline was engrossing. The illustrations, which were created by the author himself, were impressive and appealing; they drew me deeper into the story. Every page turned steadily increased my curiosity and excitement. My thoughts often revolved around how much I was enjoying the build up and how children would just love this book. Unfortunately though, it fell apart with the ending. Well, maybe not "fell apart", but it didn't hold to the same standard as the rest of the book. Aside from that, it's a wonderful mystery, full of adventure for both boys and girls!

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh...what is the secret? :) Nice teaser. This one sounds like fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed this one. I've had this one sitting in my pile for a few months, and I really need to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish ~ It's worth it for its uniqueness alone.

    Debi ~ It won't take you too long because you may not want to put it down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched an interview with the author of this book a few weeks ago. He was really interesting so I added it to my tbr list. Yours is the first review of it I have seen. Glad you enjoyed it ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:08 AM

    Glad you enjoyed this one. It is quite unique isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paula ~ My first "graphic novel"! It was a good experience. :)

    Kay ~ Unique, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!