Friday, April 18, 2008

FLIPPED

Wendelin Van Draanen
Genre: YA
Published: 2001
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 51



Juli Baker, a second grader, can't wait for the new neighbors to move in across the street. The minute she sees Bryce, who is also in second grade, she is smitten. Seen through both Juli and Bryce's eyes, in alternating chapters, we watch the ups and downs of their relationship over a 6 year period.

This was pretty good. Flipped didn't just focus on Juli and Bryce's relationship, but also included relationships between family members, neighbors, and school friends. It was a good example of teens learning about themselves and others, and was presented in a fun, emotional way. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a lot of extreme childish behavior. I think pre-teens would enjoy this, as well as young adults.

5 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before. Sounds good. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debi ~ I'm glad I read this one. The content is deeper than a lot of YA books that I've read or at the very least, this one touched me more than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know my 17yo daughter has read this one - and i want to read it too. good review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got me interested. On the list, it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison ~ All the students that I've seen with it in their hands really liked it. It's good for a wide age group.

    Framed ~ It's a good one. I think you'd like it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!