Friday, April 25, 2008

POWER PLAY

Joseph Finder
Genre: Corporate Thriller
Published: 2007
Personal Rating: 3.75/5
Yearly Count: 56



Jake Landry is a junior executive at California's Hammond Aerospace. His boss is unable to attend the corporate weekend planned at a secluded lodge in Canada, so Jake, somewhat reluctantly, takes his place. Immediately, the new CEO corners Jake and asks him to report any wayward conversations he may overhear. He doesn't get much of a chance - some hunters invade the lodge and discover these are well-off corporate employees. Jake immediately suspects foul play.

While I enjoyed the thriller portion of the book, I had no interest in the beginning and end which focused on the corporate/business end. Since reading Power Play, it has come to my attention that placing characters in a variety of industries is Finder's trademark, so leading the plot so heavily in that direction makes more sense to me now. :) Due to topic, not necessarily writing style, I don't think I'll be picking up another by him any time soon.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:16 PM

    I felt let down with this book. Too farfetched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J. Kaye ~ I would agree, but I still liked the middle portion. :)

    Did you check into Google Reader? It's really easy and convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corporate thriller...man, there's just no end to kinds of sub-genres of thrillers, are there? I'm guessing this is probably not a sub-genre for me though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi ~ I'm not exactly sure why, but I've wanted to read a Finder thriller. Well, I have now, so I'm probably done. :) I didn't realize that he is known for the variety of industries in his books. It's okay, though. I'm happy that I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Joy, his previous two are way better. This one was a waste of my time.

    Google Reader - YES - I did it! I don't think I have everyone on there yet, but I have most everyone...lol! I'm not sure if I like this better yet. It will take a few more days to decide, but it is way cool. :) Having everyone's blog where I can see it at a glance is too neat. Thanks so much for giving me the heads-up about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J. Kaye ~ You're welcome. :) I hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!