Friday, May 30, 2008

PARDONABLE LIES

Author: Jacqueline Winspear
Genre: Historical Mystery
Published: 2005
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 74



Maisie Dobbs finds herself involved in three cases: a 13-year-old girl charged with murder, verification of a presumed dead son, and the search of details concerning a friend's brother. Maisie's past comes back to haunt her as she works diligently to solve the cases.

Maisie's cases had some interesting components that kept me curious, but not on the edge of my seat curious. As with the other books in this series, there were psychic and supernatural elements. They were more prevalent this time around and that caused me to be liery. I do not like those elements. What I do enjoy about this series is Winspear's creation of a realistic setting and atmosphere of the late 1930's in England and France. Every book has transported me there without fail.

4 comments:

  1. I really like these books. The setting is very well done. And I really like Maisie and the people in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged ~ Me, too! :) I hope I enjoy the next one a bit more, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be my next Maisie, I am trying to read them in order. Been doing that more with series lately. I am looking forward to reading this one soon.
    Winspear makes me feel like I am really looking at that era. MAISIE DOBBS will always be my favorite, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vickie ~ I agree. MAISIE DOBBS was the best one. I liked this one least and hope the next one picks back up. As a whole, I have really enjoyed the series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!