Wednesday, October 01, 2008

CHEMISTRY

Author: Ron Rash
Genre: Short Stories
Published: Chemistry and Other Stories, 2007
Personal Rating: 4/5
(ss) Yearly Count: 29



A father has a breakdown of sorts and after some treatment, he decides to get well in his own way.

Another short story that makes it to "very good" on the rating scale.  I have two in a row that have grabbed my attention immediately.  They may not be "absolutely excellent", but I'm really enjoying this author's writing.  I read a few passages slowly to understand how he produces such vivid images in my mind.  It's all about the words.  DUH!  :)  Seriously, he links the most descriptive, dead-on words that just resonate clearly - without being wordy.  Again, I must read more.

8 comments:

  1. Well I'm glad you're enjoying these. They don't always have to be excellent to be well worth reading. I've got to get off this computer soon and do some reading of my own. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy books when the author makes me slow down to savor his choice of words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like my kind of short story. A "Very Good" rating isn't bad for a ss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to read more of Rash's work. He's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are on a short story roll!! I'll definitely have to check this author out. Two in a row is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dar ~ I've cut down on my computer time, but I did it in stages. I didn't want to suffer from withdrawal. The biggest time saver has been not reading all the blogs. I decided I'd rather read a book. :)

    Carrie K ~ That doesn't happen too often for me. The books I read don't usually consist of savoring words, so Rash is a real treat.

    Mary ~ That's true. I guess I just really like him and want to rate it higher because he makes me pay attention to his words. (see comment to Carrie K above)

    Suzi ~ I can't wait to read his newest novel Serena. I have another novel by him on my bookshelf that I want to get to, as well. Ahhh, so many books . . .

    Trish ~ I've been wanting to read more Rash - it seems like forever now, so I decided to pick up his short stories. That way I can at least get a little satisfaction. :) I'm guessing the rest of the book will be just as good. My plan is to read one every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Joy, I miss you visiting my blog. By the way, you won a copy of Simple Little Words! Yahhoo for you-I need your snail mail address. My email is on blog. Thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dar ~ I'm just now (obviously) responding to this comment, but you know we've already been in touch. Thanks again, Dar! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!