Thursday, July 02, 2009

THE ACTOR AND THE HOUSEWIFE

Author: Shannon Hale
Genre: Chick-Lit, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 3/5 (just okay)
Yearly Count: 80



Please Note: While being thankful for the opportunity to receive and read this book, I feel the need to post the blurb from its cover. However, in my opinion there is usually too much disclosed. Read at your own discretion.

From the cover:

What if you met your number-one dream celebrity - you know, the one your spouse has agreed you could run off with if ever you had the chance? And of course since it'll never happen it doesn't matter . . .

Mormon housewife Becky Jack is seven months pregnant with her fourth child when she meets celebrity heartthrob Felix Callahan. A few hours, one elevator ride, and one alcohol-free dinner later something has happened, though nothing has happened.... It isn't se*ual. It isn't even quite love. But soon Felix shows up in Salt Lake City to visit and before they know what's hit them, Felix and Becky are best friends - talk-on-the-phone, drop-everything-in-an-emergency, laugh-out-loud-at-stupid-jokes best friends.

Becky's loving and devoted husband, Mike, is mostly unconcerned. Her children roll their eyes. Her large extended family and neighbors gossip endlessly. But Felix and Becky have something special, something unusual, something that seems from the outside - and sometimes from the inside too - completely impossible to sustain.

On the surface, Becky's story of a steadfast housewife and the handsome star is the ultimate romantic fantasy. But the depth of emotion that Shannon Hale shows us in Becky is the srength that underpins only the strongest relationships. It is what makes this story resonate beyond the glitter of Felix's movie-stardom to the deeper understanding of the kinds of true love we all dream of having.

Shannon Hale has created a magical and often hilarious story that explores what might happen when your not-so-secret celebrity crush walks right into real life, and changes everything.


I requested this book because it was written by Shannon Hale. I have enjoyed a couple of her other books, so I thought I'd give this a try without knowing anything about it. It turned out to be not what I expected - at all! I can't say what I expected, but I know it wasn't this. And, "this" wasn't bad by any means, just different.

In general, I was surprised by the voice behind Becky! Was this really Shannon Hale's work? Not that she wasn't capable, but again - just not what I expected. The sarcastic wit was very fun and feisty, and for the most part was entertaining, but some times it seemed forced. Also, I didn't necessarily care for the plot. There are many ways in which to view Becky's choices and mine tended to side on the "not too pleased" side. For being a professed Mormon housewife (referred to in several scenarios, but not pushy), I would expect more from her. Also, Felix and Becky's husband, Mike, were not believable characters.

As a unique departure from strict chick-lit, The Actor and the Housewife was an okay read for me. Although, those that love humor and relational books should find themselves laughing and loving this one.



Thank you Kristina, from Bloomsbury USA, for sending me this book.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:54 PM

    Sounds like one I can skip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of Shannon Hale's books so wouldn't know what to expect when reading this one. It sounds intriguing and different but highly unlikely story. Maybe that is what makes it funny.

    I am planning to read Austenland for the Everything Austen Challenge and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to this one, even though I've several "nyeh" reviews. Hale describes her book as a bit of a genre-buster. She doesn't stick to the rules -- it's not strictly chick lit nor literary, etc. I actually like it when people break the rules, so it'll be interesting to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacybuckeye ~ If you aren't into this type of book, yep - I'd skip it.

    Bermudaonion ~ If this sounds in the least bit appealing, then I think you will love it. I didn't know what it was about when I requested it.

    Bonnie ~ I read two YA books by her: The Goose Girl and The Book of a Thousand Days. Both were in more of the fairy tale/fantasy sort of genres. I thought TGG was very good and gave TBofaTD a 3/5 like this one. Personally, I think she's a great storyteller - and all three were told with a different approach, but I think I've had enough. Too many other books and authors out there for me to really enjoy.

    Bookfool ~ Yep, so she says. I know genres do follow certain forms and those lines can be blurred, but to me - this is chick-lit. As a very basic rule, I see chick-lit as a work of fiction that mainly appeals to women and contains a fluffiness and/or silliness to it. While this one had that, it also tried to have a more serious tone of women's lit. And, there was the fantasy of meeting an actor that you swoon over as well. I didn't buy the plot, so the seriousness didn't pan out for me. It still was an okay read, though. It had its moments. :) I do hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now I don't know what to think! After reading Natasha's post on this book and Shannon Hale I decided that I'd start off with this one (haven't read any Hale yet). I kind of like the idea of defying genres, but not if it is forced. Hmmmm. I'm not a huge chick-lit fan, so maybe this will be a good halfway meeting point for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was worried that this book wouldn't be as satisfying as her young adult novels. I've read and enjoyed all of those. Goose Girl and Book of a Thousand Days were my two favorite. I didn't care for Austenland. It was okay, but definitely chicklit which is not a favorite genre.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trish ~ I consider this chick-lit, so if you don't like that genre - ummm this one might not be for you. I without a doubt could be wrong. It's just my opinion.

    Booklogged ~ You introduced me to Hale (thanks again!), but I think if she's heading down chick-lit road - I'm not following. Now there are some chick-lit books that I have enjoyed. I'm not anti-chick-lit, but I have too many other books impatiently waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book does intrigue me. I'm not real into chick lit, but it sounds kind of unconventional, which I could see as a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book intrigues me and I do want to read it. However, I am not expecting to much, just want an entertaining read.
    Thanks for your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of this book so I appreciate your review. I am a dedicated Shannon Hale fan but not a huge chick-lit fan. It has to be humorous to make me like it and Hale does humor quite well. As a Mormon, I'm interested to see how she reconciles that whole Mormon housewife and movie star friendship thing. Hmmmm, interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim L ~ I think it's unconventional for Hale, not in general. I hope you like it.

    ibeeeg ~ It was entertaining for me. I loved the sarcasm.

    Framed ~ Ohhhh, I'm looking forward to your review. Maybe there is a different feel to Austenland (more like this one), but I was really surprised. I didn't expect the tone at all.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!