Saturday, February 19, 2011

UNBROKEN

Author: Laura Hillenbrand
Genre: Non-Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2010
Personal Rating: 3.75/5 (good +)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  13



Amazon Snippet:




Hillenbrand unfurls the story of Louie Zamperini--a juvenile delinquent-turned-Olympic runner-turned-Army hero. During a routine search mission over the Pacific, Louie’s plane crashed into the ocean, and what happened to him over the next three years of his life is a story that will keep you glued to the pages, eagerly awaiting the next turn in the story and fearing it at the same time.
 
I was captivated by Louie's story from the very beginning; I honestly didn't want to stop listening. His childhood intrigued me, and the writing was interesting. However, after the start of his air force career, the way in which the story was being told became old. It was tedious and too factual due to it's third person narration. I was missing the personal dialog.

Louie's story, like most, if not all WWII stories, was one of pure evil and heartbreak. Some events in this story were physically impossible to endure or survive without some monumental mental damage - they absolutely made no sense. I am of the belief that some events were profoundly embellished.  Ultimately, I'm glad to have heard Louie's story, but I'm not in awe of Unbroken like most readers have expressed.


7 comments:

  1. Hm, for some reason, I thought this was a memoir. It still sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one that I definitely want to read this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ I was thrilled to finally get to it, but the narration was just too factual and lacked warmth. It still is a very informative read.

    Staci ~ Even though I can't rave about it, I think it's a great book for history sake. I learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked this one up the other day. I know it has a lot of raving reviews but I've read a few that have liked it like you did bu that it lacked a bit. I'm still really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darlene ~ It's quite an interesting, but difficult part of history to read. I hope you find it a worthy read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband gave up after a few chapters. He didn't care for the writing and since I had a tough time getting through Seabiscuit, I decided to skip this one, too. However, I gave it to my stepddad and he loved it. Apparently, a lot of other readers share his enthusiasm. It's been on the best seller list for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les ~ I actually really enjoyed the beginning. :) I never read Seabuscuit, but loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!