Wednesday, April 13, 2011

HOLMES ON THE RANGE

Author:  Steven Hockensmith
Genre:  Mystery,
Old Red & Big Red Series #1
Published:  2007
Personal Rating:  2.25/5 (not enjoyable +)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  24


Set in Montana, 1892, two brothers (Gustav and Otto) get hired on a ranch and come across a dead man who appears to be trampled by a stampede.  Later, another man is found dead.  Gustav is a Sherlock Holmes fan and decides to use his own deductive skills to find out what really is going on at the ranch. 

I have 2 friends that would love this book/series, and I will certainly pass the word along, but for me, it was a little too much.  The greatest deficit was the narrator.  I do not like overdramatized readings and this was beyond overdramatized.  The characters were made out to be caricatures and made me cringe with dislike many times over.  And the actual story (dialog and plot) - well, it contained some sort of goofy comment, description or simile in every line. The silliness was just beyond my liking.

I do have to admit, Steve Hockensmith is a very creative and clever thinker.  I actually appreciate and respect his work, but it just doesn't suit my taste.  I won't be continuing with this series, but I still look forward to reading more of his short stories.  I can handle his style in shorts spurts.  :)

4 comments:

  1. I have this on Mt Git'r'Read to read one day. Thank you for the reminder. Sorry it didn't do it for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie ~ Oh yes . . . Vickie! I think you'll really like this one A LOT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This isn't one that I would gravitate towards, but as always I appreciate your candor when you review books that you just didn't make a connection with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci ~ I'm keeping a log of my reads whether good or bad. I probably could do a better job expressing the disappointing ones. :l However, as a blog reader, myself, I always appreciate the ones that tell it straight. Like yours, for example. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!