Sunday, June 26, 2011

BREAKING SILENCE

Author: Linda Castillo
Genre: Thriller, Kate Burkholder Series #3
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Format:  Book
Yearly Count: 52


From the inside of the ARC:

When the Slabaugh family is found dead in their barn, it appears to be a gruesome accident: methane gas asphyxiation caused by a poorly ventilated cesspit. But it's soon revealed to be murder, possibly tied to a series of hate crimes against the Amish.


Alongside state agent John Tomasetti, Kate Burkholder searches for the link between the crimes--and uncovers a dark secret a work beneath the placid surface of this idyllic Amish community.

This book hit the spot! It kept me engaged from beginning to end, and I was disappointed when it came to an end.  (And that was after purposefully stretching it out a bit.)  I think I have come to really like Kate and enjoyed her deepening relationship with John.

The plot was filled with twists and an interesting cast of characters, as well as a terrific Amish community setting.  All together it was an exciting read, and I can't wait for the next Kate and John case.





My thanks go to Kay from My Random Acts of Reading for sending me her ARC. What a pal! :)


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:31 PM

    Yea! You liked it! I'm so pleased. I keep starting each book in this series with dread in my heart that the author will not be able to keep up the level of thrill, interest, pleasure that I experienced in the previous book. However, so far, so good. I'm really liking the devlopment of the relationship between Kate and John and their individual journeys through their painful memories. Looking forward to where she takes them next. I also love the secondary characters that pop up over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay ~ I just knew I was going to like it because I thought both 1 and 2 were very good, but I was surprised that I liked it even more than either of them. I was also surprised as to how much I liked the John and Kate scenes. There's a perfect balance of romance and mystery. Thank you so much for sharing your copy with me. I'm so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that there is book 3 already..it seems like just yesterday that I heard about this series!! I have the first one so I really have no excuse to get going on this series and if you liked it then I know I will!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staci ~ If I remember correctly, the first two were very graphic and a little over the top in a couple of areas, but I still really enjoyed them. This one was much more realistic and that made a world of difference to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:29 PM

    Another series I really want to read! Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the same thing as Staci! I thought the second one just came out. ;) I read #1 and liked it quite well, but as I recall, it was pretty graphic. I enjoyed the relationship between Kate and John, so I guess I better hurry up and read #2 and #3 before I forget what happened in the first.

    And, yes, Kay is a wonderful pal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacybuckeye ~ I understand the "someday." It's so difficult to get to all the books we want to read.

    Les ~ They are fast reads, so you can catch up quickly! :) This one (#3) just came out a few days ago.

    BTW - no response from our author-friend Cody. :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!