Monday, July 25, 2011

LITTLE PRINCES

Author:  Conor Grennan
Genre:  Memoir, Standalone
Published:  2011
Personal Ratings:  5/5
(absolutely outstanding)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  62


Conor Grennan, 29, throws himself into a year-long trip around the world.  His first stop is to volunteer in Nepal at an orphanage called Little Princes.  Despite being unprepared for the culture shock and conditions of the worn-torn country, Conor's heart is filled with the love of the children.  His realization of the true reasons why they are living in the orphanage drives him to seek out their relatives. Once back in the USA, he develops a non-profit organization called Next Generation Nepal to support his efforts to reunite families.

I felt so many emotions while listening to this book.  The joy in "Conor-Brother's" success was the most inspiring, but the way in which Conor shares his story was delightful.  He had a sense of humor that made me giggle often, and yet, he also had a very serious side that made me choke up with sadness when he described some of his experiences with the children and locals.  

The audiobook version was absolutely awesome!  I loved the accents and cadence of the reader, which just so happened to be the author himself.  Well done.

10 comments:

  1. My book club is reading this in October and I cannot wait. It sounds like the perfect book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have to listen to this one. It would be great to hear Conor's voice. I loved this book...absolutely loved it!! He was someone I connected to immediately and I thought he did a fantastic job of really putting you there in his shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ I think you'll really enjoy it.

    Staci ~ WHAT?!?!? For real!?! :) He did an excellent job and his humor shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be one of my top reads in 2011. I am glad the audio version is good too (to date I haven't finished a single audio book...)

    Here's my review:
    http://mentalfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/02/book-review-little-princes-one-mans.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:43 AM

    This is the second 5 star review I've read for this book today! Looks touching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christa ~ It's a best read of 2011 for me, too. :) I would miss out on half (or more) of the books I get to without audiobooks. I love them!

    Stacybuckeye ~ It's a good one, Stacy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! 5/5? I'm definitely going to read this based soley on your recommendation. I have a friend looking for a book club suggestion and I'm going to tell her to read your review. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les ~ To be 100% honest here, I have to admit that I toyed with the idea of giving it as low as 4.5 (still making my best reads list, though), but I couldn't think of anything I disliked. It was all good! :) His selfless efforts alone warranted a high rating. I highly recommend the audio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'm wishing I'd listened to this one. "Conor Brother" indeed has a delightful "voice" and it would be great to have actually heard it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alisonwonderland ~ I loved hearing "Conor Brother." I just really enjoyed the whole thing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!