Wednesday, September 07, 2011

THE VARIOUS HAUNTS OF MEN

Author: Susan Hill
Genre: Mystery, Simon Serrailler #1
Published: 2004
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count:  75


A woman goes missing in Lafferton, England, and the newbie detective to the small town senses that it's more than her just seeking solitude.

This book had a full set of intriguing characters and story lines. The problem was it took me quite some time to fit it all together; therefore, my character connections were a little thin. Despite that, I was still deeply drawn in by the various topics of alternative health solutions. They made the characters very real as they contemplated their options.

Chief Inspector Simon Serrailler didn't seem like the main character and was a bit enigmatic, so it'll be interesting to see how he grows into that position in the next book in the series. Or maybe he doesn't, but it'll be interesting to find out, nonetheless. This was a very good character study/serial killer mystery mix.

9 comments:

  1. I have a copy of this one but haven't read it. Wasn't even aware the audio was available. Sounds like it is worth a try.

    I see you have the eBook of the Homecoming of Samuel Lake - me too and it sounds excellent, but just when I'll find the time for all I want to read is my ongoing problem...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. The alternative health solutions do sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane ~ I have several books in this series and the first finally made it into my hands - well sorta. I opted for the audio instead because that's the only way I think I was going to get the book in. I actually read parts of it though.

    The Homecoming of Samuel Lake is very good. I'm a little over 1/3 into it and really enjoying it. Unfortunately, it's moving at a snail's pace because it's my bedtime book (small amounts at a time). I may have to change that. :)

    Bermudaonion ~ They were very interesting. I'm really curious about what the next book will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thanks for bringing this author and series to my attention! I have found I like some of those books where there really isn't a main character. Sometimes the main character or characters can get in the way of the story.
    Off to add to the WWBL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vickie ~ Simon certainly doesn't get in the way. It's heavy on character study as they try to solve a case. I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read anything by Susan Hill, but I have a copy of The Shadow in the Street. My mom sent it to me (so she must've loved it!) and I need to move it up in my stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les ~ The Shadows in the Street is the 5th in thus far a 6 part series. I'm trying not to let series order rule my desire to read a book that's calling my name. There are some that read better in order, but it's not the end of the world starting a series further in. Hopefully, reading the 5th won't cause you any stress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how I forgot about your review and my comment! It sounds like it doesn't much matter if this series is read out of order, as we both had problems with the character connections.

    I just googled "character list in simon serrailler series" and came upon a link to SuziQ's post, which I had also forgotten about! Granted, it was written three years ago, but really. I do wonder about my feeble memory...

    Here's the link to her post, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ It happens to the best of us . . . that memory loss thing. Ugh. I'm very curious about the second in this series, but I have so many books that are calling my name louder. I look forward to your thoughts on any in this series.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!