Wednesday, August 15, 2012

WIDOW'S MIGHT

Author:  Sandra Brannan
Genre:  Mystery, Liv Bergen Series #3
Published:  2012
Personal Rating:  2.5/5 (eh)
Format:  Book
Yearly Count:  71


From the back cover of the ARC:

The third Liv Bergen mystery picks up right where the second one left off: the murder of Liv’s future sister-in-law has been solved, but an older rancher has been bludgeoned to death in a style eerily reminiscent of a long-inactive killer known only as the Crooked Man. FBI agent Streeter Pierce, still on assignment in Sturgis, South Dakota, must now turn his sights on tracking down the killer—his nemesis from ten years earlier. Pierce doesn’t complain, though; he’s falling in love with Liv and sets in motion an unconventional plan to recruit her for the FBI’s training camp in Quantico as they work the case together. But is Liv falling for the brilliant, exotic agent Jack Linwood instead?

Once again, Liv’s vast knowledge of the Black Hills of South Dakota—territory made famous by the gold rush that followed General George Custer’s expedition—and the novel folk who live there leads her to unearth critical clues about the Crooked Man. But are facts enough to safeguard Liv’s sister Elizabeth and her friend, an elderly woman battling cancer who was attacked just days after her husband was murdered? Will the frail yet feisty widow recover her strength in time to help Liv thwart the Crooked Man’s murderous plans and fatal blows?


Well, I'm hoping this was just a timing issue and that the next Liv Bergen mystery will be a better book for me, because I really struggled reading this one.  Liv literally goes from one case (last book) to the next (this book) in a matter of minutes.  That felt weird to me, but whatever.  I admit that I haven't been a huge fan of Liv or the FBI from the beginning (not realistic enough), but I still enjoyed the plots in the past two.  The plot in Widow's Might did not interest me with the history and repetition.  Then there's the Streeter vs Jack issue, and all that did was remind me of the Ranger vs Morelli friction (Stephanie Plum series), which made me roll my eyes.  Actually, the way things fall into place and/or just happened-to-be remind of Evanovich's books as well.  Hmmm.  For those that do like the Stephanie Plum series, but would like it to be a bit more serious should give the Liv Bergen series a try.  It might be a perfect fit.  





My thanks go to Marissa from JKS Communications for sending me the ARC.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to see you didn't love this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ Oh well, it happens. I'd definitely prefer to love it.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, I've got this series waiting on the shelf for me. I haven't read Evanovitch at all, maybe that will help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola ~ I really enjoyed the first two, so I'm hoping this one isn't an indicator of where the series is going. Evanovich has some really goofy characters that add supposed humor to the storyline. This doesn't have that. It's more serious in nature. There are just some nuances and now the romance angle that are similar.

      Delete
  3. I love an honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marjorie/cenya2 ~ That's the only way I know how to do it. :)

      Delete
  4. I have her first two..hoping I like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci ~ I liked the first two better.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!