Wednesday, October 31, 2012

ELI THE GOOD

Author: Silas House
Genre: YA Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2009
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Format: eBook
Yearly Count:  90


Eli the Good is a 10-year-old boy who lives with his mother, father, sister and aunt in Kentucky.  He shares his thoughts and experiences from the summer of 1976.

During that summer, Eli observes all those around him acting out their own internal feelings (regarding their personal issues) and trying to sort out his own.  The Vietnam War, cancer, rebellion, nature and relationships between friends and family all played a role in his confusion.  His thoughts on what was happening seemed realistic, and I liked Eli. He had a good heart. 

  In general, the story was good, and I'll read more by Silas House, but it didn't live up to my expectations.  It did bring back memories of that time frame by depicting clothing, books, topics of conversation, etc.  I thought that was well done.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good time period read. I may have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline ~ It is! I believe it's worth the time.

      Delete
  2. I do like to read about that time period, so this sounds interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ It's a quick read and one I think you'd enjoy.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this for the nostalgia. I thought it was a better book for adults than YA despite the youth of the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!