Thursday, August 08, 2013

MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING

Author:  Viktor E. Frankl
Genre:  Memoir, Standalone
Published:  1946
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/Simon Vance
Yearly Count:  63



Neurologist and psychologist, Viktor Frankl uses his years in concentration camps as evidence that people can overcome suffering by choosing their reactions and finding meaning in their struggles.  His theory of logotherapy focuses on searching for meaning and not just happiness.

I picked this up after I saw many wise quotes by Frankl in a book we used at a training I attended.   The quotes spurred a curiosity, and I sought out this book.  The first half was based on Frankl's experience in concentration camps (descriptive, but not overwhelmingly so), and the second focused on his theory of logotherapy.  Both were valuable and interesting.  While I enjoyed listening to this, I think it would be a good book to have on hand for reference.

   

  


6 comments:

  1. Candleman read and recommended this book to me but it's one of those I haven't got to yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booklogged ~ I found it to be a worthy read. It's a short book, so it won't take you too long if you give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:39 PM

    I, too, have seen many quotes/references to this book and been curious. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye ~ If nothing else, it was interesting to learn about his experience.

      Delete
  3. I have always wanted to give this book a try, Joy. My sister-in-law raved about it many, many years ago, but I have yet to pick it up. Thanks for the nudge! Now to decide whether to read it in print or on audio?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ I really liked the audio, but it's nice to have the print for highlighting and revisiting if desired.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!