Friday, March 25, 2016

THAT PART WAS TRUE

Author:  Deborah McKinlay
Genre:  Epistolary Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2014
Personal Rating:  3/5 (just okay)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/
Kellgren & Ganser
Yearly Count:  20


A divorcee living in England writes an author who lives in the USA regarding his work, and he responds!  (must say that is always exciting!)  :)  A friendship develops through their common interests.  

I really like epistolary novels, but sending letters these days is highly unusual -- especially with one word answers and far distances like . . .  over the pond.  That made no sense to me.  Also, I'm not a fan of lots of food talk and recipes in my books.  However, I did enjoy the blossoming of their relationship and loved how the ending was executed.

Thoughts of Joy


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this a bit more than you, Joy. I wonder if it's better in print rather than audio. I have found that epistolary novels on audio lose their impact, at least for me. I get tired of the spoken details that I would skim over (the date, the name the letter is addressed to, etc.) when reading the print format. And, unlike you, I love my books full of cooking details and recipes. :)

    Of course, now I can't remember the ending, but I wrote this in my review:

    With a perfect (yet unpredictable) finale, That Part Was True is the proverbial Feel Good read that is sure to delight readers who fell in love with Me Before You, 84, Charing Cross Road, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and The Shell Seekers. This is such a perfect book to curl up with on a rainy Sunday afternoon, along with a cup of hot tea and a couple of slices of buttered toast with cinnamon sugar or homemade jam. My only complaint? I didn’t want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ Hi! I must get over to your blog. The plan this week is for some blog hopping! :)

      I enjoyed the audio version, and now that you mention it, I don't remember them reading all the letter details, just the responses. Maybe the date??? So on that front, they done good. :) I'm not surprised in the least that you enjoyed the recipe portions. I used to enjoy reading cookbooks, magazines, etc., but not anymore.

      Your review created quite a cozy scenario. :) I wish it were more for me. I'm finding it very difficult to run across stellar reads. However, I look back and discovered that's just how I roll. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!