Monday, August 06, 2007

NYT Notable Book Challenge

THE BLIND SIDE
Michael Lewis ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 67




This was a surprise. I never anticipated listening to a book about football, but it landed itself on the New York Times Notable Books 2006 list, so I picked it up for the challenge. It's not that I don't like football, I do; I just didn't think I'd listen to all the details of one such game. And so not surprisingly, I really didn't relish the football fest, but it was okay. The history and stats didn't draw my attention, yet Grover Gardner as the narrator, presented it very well.

What I enjoyed most was the story of Michael Oher, the Memphis, virtually homeless, young black man just trying to survive in the world. A wealthy, white family emotionally and physically adopts him into their hearts and home. His story is inspiring and touching.

Merging the two stories seemed to forfeit a gentle flow. The stories bounced around and sometimes it felt very scattered, but in the end, I learned a bit here and there, so it worked out. My recommendation is that you should have a little more than a slight interest in football to make this book be worth your while. If you're a fan of this pigskin sport, it's a winner.

6 comments:

  1. How did you get 'Readers Thoughts' instead of 'Comments'?

    I live with all men and I can't stand football, but I do enjoy the stories of players lives. Most of those guys come from nothing, so I end up being very happy for their successes. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kookie ~ It's under "Template", "Page Elements", then go to "Blog Posts" and click
    "edit". Viola!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome, thanks Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kookie ~ You're welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby and I really liked this book and neither of us are pigskin fans. BUT, the big news...we were eating supper tonight when hub tells me Michael Uher didn't get in Ole Miss again. His grades are too bad. So sad... :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie ~ Oh no!!! That is such a bummer that Michael wasn't able to maintain decent grades; however, not surprising. It is sad, but I'm sure someone will want his skills so all will not be lost.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!