Monday, October 29, 2007

TEARS OF THE GIRAFFE
Alexander McCall Smith ~ BOiPod
Personal Rating: 3.25/5
Yearly Count: 101




The first in the series is The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, which I read in March, 2004 BB (before blogging). I was really not too fond of it; therefore, rated it a 2.5/5. Gasp! So why did I decide to try it again? Well, because I stumbled upon it at the library and I, frankly, really just want to like the series. I knew eventually I'd give this one a try and the time happened to be now.

In Tears of the Giraffe, Mma Ramotswe and her secretary use their detective skills to try and solve two cases, one involving a man that has been missing for 10 years and a husband's suspicions of his wife committing adultery. Also intertwined is Mma Ramotswe's personal life that contains many exciting changes.

In general, some of the storyline was plain silly and some charming, but overall enjoyable. The most annoying thing about listening to the book was the speed in which it was told (very drawn out) and the repetitive use of the characters' names. Ugh! If I were reading it, I believe neither would have stood out in such a negative way.

I'm thankful that I took the advice of my fellow readers and changed my vision regarding this series. It still didn't come out with a stellar rating (but still good); however, I did enjoy this one much, much more than the first. I actually have an inkling of desire regarding the next one titled Morality for Beautiful Girls. I will definitely not take 3.5 years to venture back to Mma Ramotswe's world.

4 comments:

  1. i really loved The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, but i've not yet got to Tears of the Giraffe. i'm glad to hear you liked it, at least a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisonwonderland ~ I definitely liked it better than the first, but I also changed my expectations. I'm thinking you'll be a happy reader with Tears. (no pun intended) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard so many good things about this series, but didn't want to start another series with so many others. Maybe some day. If and when I do read it, I'll keep your comments in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Framed ~ I can't wait to try out new series! I hope you would reconsider the 1st in a Series Challenge. I'm thinking of it as a sampling. If I don't like a particular first, then I just won't continue. Even if you don't join, stop back and check out Mister Linky to see what other people think of their firsts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!