Sunday, February 24, 2008

BIRDS OF A FEATHER

Jacqueline Winspear
Genre: Historical Mystery
Published: 2005
Personal Rating: 4.25/5
Yearly Count: 25



Maisie Dobbs has been hired once again to solve a case. This time it involves a wealthy man, his missing daughter and three of her friends that happen to be deceased. As Maisie proceeds in her investigation, she discovers more about herself and her assistant Billy Beale.

This series has a lot to offer. I receive the greatest pleasure from the quiet, thought-filled process that Maisie demonstrates in her quest to solve mysteries. Also, the fact that she's intelligent, yet never arrogant or haughty; she continues to seek advice and listen to those around her.

Like the first, this second in the series contains some psychology, which I really enjoy. However, the moments of intuition and sensing the aura are not to my liking and I believe that it weakens the validity of her findings. Fortunately, it's not enough to dissuade me from meeting up with Maisie Dobbs again.

10 comments:

  1. I really like Maisie, too. You describe her so well. I have book 4 on my shelf. For some weird reason I pre-ordered it and then just let it sit for a year or so. I think the next book is out already. I have included it in a challenge, so it will get read soon. Readers are sometimes a funny lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:35 AM

    I just added this series to my Good Reads...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Booklogged ~ I don't know what took me so long to read the first! :) Yes, the fifth is out, so I need to keep moving along before the sixth comes out.

    Danielle ~ I think you'll like it. It's not drenched in psychology, but it seems to lingers in the air. Oh geez...that's not like an "aura" thing or something, is it?!? LOL Anyway, she's got a quite spirit that is fine-tuned to listening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun series, although I don't read a lot of mystery. I'm not sure why--maybe I'll pick up some Agatha Christie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy: I am so glad you enjoy this series, too. I adore the calm I feel when I am reading one. I have them on my keeper shelf, even after only reading the first one. Then I read this second and knew I'd made the right decision.
    I was happy that this one actually moved into a mystery, but remained a character study.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish ~ There's not a lot of mystery (if any) in the first of this series (Maisie Dobbs). It's very much a character study. This one is a mystery.

    Vickie ~ Calm is a good adjective to describe my feelings, too. Winspear has a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear you liked this one. I love how these are such gently told stories even the second one, where there is a true mystery. I'm with you in that I think my least favorite part is her 'intuition', but that's a minor quibble compared to how much I enjoyed the first two books. I'm hoping to get to the 3rd one sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzi ~ I've got the third one waiting for me; however, I'm going to give it a little time before picking it up due to the mountain of books I have waiting. I look forward to your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the first Maisie book and I finally ordered this one in January so I hope to get to it sometime soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tanabata ~ This one definitely is more of a mystery. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!