Wednesday, February 27, 2008

HALF BROKEN THINGS

Morag Joss
Genre: Psychological Suspense
Published: 2005
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 26



In a nutshell (I'm not a fan of giving too much away), three troubled adults independently find themselves in dire situations and eventually congregate in the same home. Their need and desire for love and acceptance is of the utmost importance; it's that drive which leads them into . . . well, more trouble.

Peculiar. That's my one word description of this novel. However, when all is said and done, there is so much more to this book. The story begins slowly, but gradually and strangely draws you in. Throughout the book, I felt liery - not quite sure what these people were capable of doing in the name of family. After a little more thought, maybe a better description would be: peculiarly thought-provoking.

Even though at some point this book made it onto my TBR list (no recollection of when or why), I specifically read it now for the "J" Author (A ~ Z Reading Challenge). I'm thankful for the challenge, because I may have missed out on it, otherwise. It was worth the read.

10 comments:

  1. Oh sure, just enough info to titillate, huh? Guess I'll have to check it out for myself. I'm sure I need a J author, too. Speaking of which...I can't believe how much of your list you've already got filled in, and it's still February! My poor list is still looking pretty pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my tbr list too! I'm looking forward to reading it but since my library doesn't have it I keep pushing it down the list. But of course, using it for a J auhtor gives me the perfect reason to put in a request for ILL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debi ~ Don't fret...you have MANY months to go. :) I've just been fortunate to get in a lot of reading/listening time.

    Nicola ~ Mine was from the libary. :) I hope you get it soon because I'm eager to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debi ~ Crud. I forgot to mention that I don't like to share a lot because I, myself, don't like to know too much about a book. I usually don't read reviews or dustjackets - at most, I quickly scan them to get the gist. I like to find out for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very interesting. I have a tough time sometimes writing reviews because while I don't want to give spoilers, I also write the review in the first place so that I can remember what I've read.

    Anyway, this one sounds very interesting! I hadn't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:52 PM

    I have one lady in my mystery book group that just literally pressed her copy of this book into my hands. She really wants me to read it. I have to take the book back to her tomorrow night unread (just haven't had time), but our library owns a copy and I'll check it out soon and read it. Glad to hear your endorsement of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trish ~ All I usually need is a little bit to jog my mind about a book. I'm really not interested in remembering all the details. There's too much real life that I have to remember to clutter my mind with fiction. :)

    Kay ~ I believe I've seen higher ratings than mine (what's new?), so I'm not surprised at your group member. I'd like to read another by this author. She has a gift of creating atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:16 PM

    I have a reading friend who just raves about this author. I have got to read his books before 2008 is behind me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. J. Kaye ~ Actually, it's a "her". :) I will be seeking another one for sure - just not sure when.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:04 AM

    I know that. (smacking my head) It's been one of those weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!