Saturday, March 01, 2008

ELSEWHERE

Gabrielle Zevin
Genre: YA Fantasy
Published: 2005
Personal Rating: 2/5
Yearly Count: 29



Liz Hall doesn't make it to her 16th birthday due to being a victim of a hit-and-run accident. She awakens on a ship to Elsewhere. Elsewhere is a place where life is in reverse from what we know on Earth. People enter at the age in which they died, but then proceed to get younger until they are a baby once again. Liz has a huge adjustment to make and she's not sure if she's up for the challenge.

What an interesting and unique plot! I was geared up and ready for this, but I discovered it just wasn't my cup of tea. At first I thought it was the narrator and continued on. Soon I found out it was both the narrator and the storyline. I will only point out my greatest annoyance - the dogs talk. UGH!

I'm leaving my rating at a "2" because the concept was unique and fascinating. However, how a plot is executed is not for every person and I found this one was not for me.

3 comments:

  1. i've got this on my to-read list, but i wasn't quite sure what i thought of the premise ... maybe i'll read when i need a Z author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my YA challenge list. Silly me...I didn't even realize this was a fantasy. Glad I read your review, and got the heads-up. I think I have a much better chance of enjoying it now going into it with the appropriate expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alison ~ I really liked the premise; it just didn't pan out. If you do choose to pick it up, make sure it's the "hand-held" version. :) I think that would make a big difference for this one.

    Debi ~ I expected it to be more along the lines of The Giver (Lowry). That expectation came from my own whacked mind, so yes, knowing it's fantasy will help in your enjoyment. And, I'm in the minority on this one for sure, so you may love it. I hope you do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!