Friday, March 21, 2008

NAKED IN DEATH

J. D. Robb
Genre: Romance Mystery
Published: 1995
Personal Rating: 4.25/5
Yearly Count: 37



J. D. Robb takes us into the future in this series - 2058 New York City. The main character, Eve Dallas, is a NY homicide detective who is the lead investigator in the death of a Senator's granddaughter. The leading suspect in this high-profile case just happens to be Eve's new love interest.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have picked up this book due to its genre: romance and science fiction. Neither appeal to me; however, it fit the First in a Series Challenge and the Thriller Challenge with the final push being - Danielle. She made this statement regarding the second book in this series: "I loved this book." (and ) "I am not a big fan of romance novels." I thought if she liked it, then I probably would, too. Well . . . I did!

The good: I thought the mystery/thriller plot was very interesting and engaging. The characters were well-developed and likeable. And, believe it or not, I was intrigued by the futuristic component. It wasn't overwhelming or too far-fetched; Robb weaved it in with finesse. What was more impressive was that the setting is New York, 2058 and yet she uses elements of today (and this was written 13 years ago) in the storyline, so we are still connected. I liked that.

The bad: It's a romance novel. It didn't change my mind - I still do not care for the "romance" scenes and would have rated it higher if they weren't there!

I will read/listen to the second in this 27 book series titled Glory In Death and will decide at that point if I will continue on.

12 comments:

  1. This series is one I read off and on as quick break type books when I needed a change of genre. I'm not a big sci-fi, romance or fantasy fan either, but this series is fun. For some reason I haven't picked one up in a long time. Looks like I got through #12, but it's been a couple of years - maybe I'll find #13 soon. I think I got tired of the romance novel part, but I do enjoy the mystery part. Some of the co-starring characters are amusing.

    I do like the slight jump to the future rather than being totally out there. Like you said it was overwhelming or too far-fetched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzi ~ I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did, but it's the mystery that kept me going. If you have made it through 12, then I'll probably be able to keep going for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You liked this just a hair more than I did, so I'll be interested to see what you have to say about #2. I enjoyed the futuristic elements to the story, as well as the mystery, but the romance was a bit too much like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum. Not sure I'll read all 27 in the series!

    My review is here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les ~ I highly doubt (but I could be wrong) that I will read all 27, but I will give the second one a try. :)

    I commented on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:31 PM

    We still don't have the email bugs worked out on my new blog....so I am unable to do any 'personal' replies to comments ;(

    I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate the 'shout out' ;)...

    I do like this series...but same as you, I just can't get in to the 'romance' scenes...never was a Harlequin fan.

    I'm about to post my Non-Fiction list later this afternoon. I have about a chapter left on Jonathan Kellerman's book 'obsession' and I just HAVE to finish it. I will be giving it away in the next day or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danielle ~ I just thought you'd like to know.

    NO Harlequins for me either!

    I look forward to seeing your non-fiction list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:36 PM

    I can't wait to start this series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. J. Kaye ~ I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Eve was such an interesting character and, of course, Roarke is such a hunk. That said, I didn't love the romance part either, but the mystery set in a futuristic setting was great. I'm not a sci fi or a roamnce fan either, but I did like these books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Framed ~ Ya think she hit the jackpot with this mixed-up genre!?! lol I hope I like the next one, but on the other hand I don't know if I want to feel the pressure of being 25 behind! When I started, I didn't think I'd like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joy, this is one of my least favorite genres too. One of the administrators at my school site loaned me an audio book from this series, and I was hooked! I must admit I love, love, love listening to them but still do not like reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Care020 ~ My plan is to continue with the audio versions, too. I can't say I'm hooked, but I'm interested in more. That's a start.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!