Friday, April 04, 2008

AMERICAN BORN CHINESE

Gene Luen Yang
Genre: YA Graphic Novel
Published: 2006
Personal Rating: 2.25/5
Yearly Count: 45



This graphic novel contains three separate stories that in the end come together in an unexpected way. The first story is a Chinese Monkey King fable, the second revolves around Jin Wang, a Chinese-American, who moves to a new school, and the third story is about Danny and his cousin Chin-Kee who comes to visit . . . again. There are many big issues depicted in this novel including: stereotyping, acceptance, pride, identity, etc.

This was an extremely peculiar novel and one that I am not fond of. I did not like how the issues were presented, whether true or not. I understand what the author was doing and where he was leading the reader, but I saw it as too much negativity. I like to teach from a positive perspective.

I am clearly in the minority (no surprise), but what's appealing to one person isn't always appealing to another. And thank goodness for that! I would hate it if we were all the same.
(She loved it!)

5 comments:

  1. I saw this one on Nymeth's blog a few weeks ago and she really liked it. I've never read a graphic novel and don't really have a lot of interest in picking one up. And yes, I think it would be boring if we all liked the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish ~ MOST people love this book. I'm pretty much a loner on this one. Oh well. Whatever.

    This is my third graphic novel for the Graphic Novel Challenge. I never would have read one otherwise. I HIGHLY recommend The Arrival (Tan). It won't take long - you could even just sit at the library and give it a whirl. Also, The Invention of Hugo Cabret (Selnick). I think they would change your mind regarding graphic novels. They did for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would hate it if we were all the same.

    I totally agree! But I'm still sad that you didn't enjoy this book as much as I did. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alison ~ Me too, Alison, me too. Thankfully, it wasn't long. :) I am glad you liked it, though. I really don't want people to be dissuaded by my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would indeed be boring if we all liked the same!

    Even though I loved this book I see what you're saying. There's anger in the way things are presented. I think that's probably the result of all the painful experiences the author went through, but I understand why you say you'd prefer a most positive approach.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!