Thursday, July 10, 2008

CHARLEY'S WEB

Author: Joy Fielding
Genre: Suspense
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 3.5/5
Yearly Count: 92



Charley, a single mom of two, writes a weekly column for the Palm Beach Post. She receives a letter from a young woman named Jill who is a death row inmate. Jill has enjoyed Charley's column over the years, so she presents the idea of Charley writing her biography. This biography would include inside information that did not come out in court regarding the crime that has put Jill behind bars. This could be Charley's big break - a non-fiction book! Charley has a decision to make.

I thought this had a very interesting premise and I enjoyed both the beginning and the middle. The ending, however, was a disappointment mainly due to its predictability. Although, I didn't like the narrator of this audiobook either. She was too dramatic and unnecessarily changed her voice for the children characters which was ridiculous. That produced negative and annoyed feelings in me. So, reading Charley's Web would be the best option.

10 comments:

  1. I read this back in May and while it was ok, it wasn't one of her best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any Joy Fielding books. But it sounds like it does have a good premise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The public library had this book as one of their "summer picks." I like the title.

    Sheepishly, I didn't know she was Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dar ~ I'm glad we had the same experience. I like having company. :) What book by her is your favorite?

    Stephanie ~ I read a couple in high school and one last year and really haven't been overly thrilled with any of her books. Oh well.

    John ~ I did a Wikipedia search of Canandian authors and lo and behold there she was! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, it's hard to pick a favorite because I had a few I thought were really good-Heartstopper, Missing Pieces, Life Penalty, Grand Avenue, Don't Cry Now-probably more. She's written some really good ones. Have you read lots of hers and do you have a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:34 PM

    Hmmmm....I picked this up from the library a couple months back...maybe it wasn't that long ago. I wasn't in the mood and it went back unread. Your review, believe it or not, has peeked my interest again. Maybe I should check it out again and it I lose the mood, come over here and reread your review...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this one back in June and had a similar reaction. I enjoyed it okay, but definitely wasn't one of her best. Charley actually annoyed me most of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dar ~ Thank you for the list of books. I will look into them when my challenges are completed. :) I read See Jane Run, Mad River Road and I think Say Goodbye to Mommy or Don't Cry Now. I remember loving See Jane Run at the time, but have no favorite.

    J. Kaye ~ Hee Hee If it helps, go for it. :)

    Tammy ~ In the long run, I'm disappointed. I was really liking this one. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read the book but I'm commiserating with you on the narrator. I really dislike it when they "act" out the different voices too much, for some odd reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie K ~ Oh Carrie, I don't think it's odd. I is a huge pet peeve of mine. Don't get me started on when they sing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!