Tuesday, September 02, 2008

GALLOWS VIEW

Author:  Peter Robinson
Genre:  Mystery
Published:  1987
Personal Rating:  4/5
Yearly Count:  116



Seeking a calmer existence than their residence in London, England, Inspector Alan Banks relocates with his wife and two children to Eastvale, a quaint town in Yorkshire County.  While some aspects of their life in Eastvale are peaceful, Inspector Alan Banks continues to be faced with the same depravity and crime that he experienced in London.  A Peeping Tom, random violence and murder are what Alan must tackle, along with personal issues that could clutter his mind and heart.

While I am happy to have met Alan Banks, I'm not so sure that I know him very well.  The lack of background information left me uncertain as to who Alan Banks really is.  I know what he does, I know who he lives with, I know his hobby, but I don't feel like I got to know what drives him, what makes him tick.  I'm thinking that's a good strategy in setting up a series - can't divulge too much in the first book, right?  Other than that, I really liked Gallows View.  The mystery kept me curious in its complexity, and learning about the town and its surroundings was pleasant.  

I'm not sure where I first discovered this author, but I'm glad I did.  The only daunting aspect is that this year he published his 18th book in this series.  Yikes!  I have 17 more to catch up!  That's okay though, I'm up for the challenge.  :)

12 comments:

  1. Robinson definely doles out Alan's history in small doses. I've read through #10 in the series and I'm still learning things about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... never read this author before. I love it when I discover a new series that has tons more books already released. No waiting! I just read the first book in J. D. Robb's In Death series and there are 28 of those out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzi ~ I'm so glad to hear that. I thought maybe I missed something. (DH didn't feel that way.) Now I'm really eager for more.

    Ladytink_534 ~ I just read that book a couple of months ago, so we're in the same boat. :) I plan on continuing with the In Death series, but I'm in no hurry. Actually, I may be listening to one soon. I haven't decided yet.

    As for this Alan Banks series by Robinson, I'm definitely interested in pursuing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this series but glad you enjoyed it. Too funny-17 more to catch up but I'm sure you are up to the challenge-you're a reading machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dar ~ The author actually moved from England to Canada and taught in many universities there. He now divides his time between Toronto and Richmond, North Yorkshire.

    I just read that his 19th book will be out in the US in Feb. 2009, but Oct. 2008 for you Canadians. AHHH, the 17 books will be growing instead of shrinking, if I don't read another by February. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:44 PM

    I read his IN A DRY SEASON a few months ago for my mystery book club and look forward to starting the series and moving on through it. Thanks for a quick look at GALLOWS VIEW.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay ~ I think what surprised me most was that it wasn't as simple as I thought it was going to be. I liked that. It's not deep either, but it was more than I expected. Robinson (the sly guy) has me snagged into wanting to learn more about Banks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read a few of the later books, and I liked Banks so much that I went back and started with Gallows View. We do indeed learn more and more as time goes by, which is one of my favorite things about any series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm quite a fan of this series (even though I'm only on book 7 I think) so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the first one. I think Robinson does a very good job with the Banks character. I find him believable - he's a good guy but he's got his faults too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nan ~ I am so glad to hear that you are another Banks follower! :) Where have I been? Like a lot of other authors and their books, I've seen them, but just never picked one up. I've got this one covered now!

    Iliana ~ I found him to be believable, too. I think book 7 is far better than book 2! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book is on my 1st in a Series Challenge list. I'm thinking I'll make it my Sept. read for this challenge. I found out about Robinson through my husband and I've actually read some other titles from this series. I really hate reading out of order, but picked them up since they were laying around the house (Mr. Distortion doesn't have the same "read them in order" issues that I have!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terri B ~ I have/had it on my 1st in Series Challenge list, too, but didn't get to it.

    LOL, my husband doesn't have a problem with reading series out of order either! What's up with that!?! I've been trying to win him over, but there hasn't been much progress. For me personally, I have accidentally read some series out of order, but I am much more careful now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!