Sunday, September 07, 2008

LAST DAYS OF SUMMER

Author:  Steve Kluger
Genre:  Fiction
Published:  1998
Personal Rating:  4.75/5
Yearly Count:  119



Brooklyn, New York is where 12-year-old Joey Margolis, a precocious Jewish boy, is coming-of-age during the early 1940s.  His love of baseball prompts him to write to Charlie Banks, the 3rd baseman of the New York Giants and asks him to "hit one out for him".  This event is the beginning of their relationship.

WOW!  Why isn't this book a bestseller?  It was fantastic.  Last Days of Summer is overflowing with something for everybody.  The story is told in letters, newspaper articles, telegrams, report cards, etc.  It contains an endearing story line, historical events, baseball, religion, Hollywood stars, politics, delightful characters, humor, and more!  At one point, I laughed until I cried.  I can't remember the last time that happened when reading a book.  After witnessing that uncontrolled laughing fit, my husband eagerly said, "Hurry up and finish that, so I can read it."  It was a pure joy.

Whether it was purposeful of not, the beginning kept me wondering what was true and what wasn't; therefore, it gets docked a quarter of a point.  Even so, it's a top-notch, poignant novel.  Now I'm on a quest to find other work by Kluger.

*Recommended By:  The Surly Bookseller, Redux (no review)

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:37 PM

    I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book! I agree - why isn't it a bestseller?

    One of the best books I've read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you loved it, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne ~ I envy those who haven't read it yet.

    I'm beginning Murphy's Law tonight - recommended by YOU! :)

    Eleanor ~ Oh my goodness - one of my best reads for the year! When I think back on it, I can't believe how much he put in the book without it being thin. He did a remarkable job. I don't even remember when you recommended this, but thank you, thank you, thank you. Actually, I can't remember a book that you have recommended that I haven't liked. Keep 'em comin'! :) Have you read any others by Kluger?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun book! I'll look out for it. Yeah, it's kind of rare to read books that can make me laugh non-stop. I love that kind of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josette ~ There are numerous one liners, sarcasm and misinterpretations, but there was one letter that had one statement after another that I just couldn't stop laughing. I'm smiling now, as I think about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy I felt exactly the same way about the book - I only picked it up on a client's reccommendation and at first glance it looked nothing like a book I'd enjoy, a young Jewish kid as the narrator, baseball, NY......but it was just the most fabulous book. I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm, I've never even heard of this book or author-I must look into him though with such a high recommendation from you. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I love when a book makes me feel like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie K ~ Thank goodness for recommendations, huh?! :)

    Dar ~ I never heard of it either. I still smile when I think of a few letters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. with a review like that, this one has to go on my to-read list. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alison ~ I read it sooner rather than later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a baseball fan but I can't resist a review like this. I love books that make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Framed ~ There is baseball in it, but I want to say that it's truly about Joey and Charlie's relationship, so you'll be able to overlook the baseball. :) Keep plugging away through the first couple pages - don't get discouraged. It's a worthy book!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had never heard of this book before now! Thank you so much for writing a wonderful review and brining it to my attention! I just added it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teddy Rose ~ Well how did I miss this comment!?! It's a great read. I hope you get a chance to pick it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review; I'm adding this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SmallWorld ~ If I were you, I would skip the list and just get it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!