Tuesday, October 21, 2008

FORTY WORDS FOR SORROW

Author:  Giles Blunt
Genre:  Thriller
Published:  2001
Personal Rating:  4/5
Yearly Count:  136  



Ontario, Canada - Algonquin Bay to be exact, had a missing girl and Detective John Cardinal was doing everything in his power to find her.  To his avail, Cardinal eventually got kicked off the case after spending too much time and energy in a "runaway" case.  Six months later (now), the girl's body is found and Cardinal feels vindicated; however, driven again to find the killer.

There was much that I liked about this thriller - one being the true to life dialog.  It felt very real to me.  I was highly interested in the chase and the side plots.  The characters didn't necessarily stand out as really likable or not, but just people - realistic people with flaws and a desire to do what's right.  Also, I liked the very beginning of the book (mainly the author's style - the words flowed easily), but then it slowed down for me.  Once I hit the middle, it picked up and I was hooked.

What I didn't like was the fact that it slowed down and there were scenes and conversations that were brutal.  I cringed (actually more than cringed) many times.  Unfortunately that sometimes goes along with thrillers - a nature of the beast.  Despite the gruesome violence, I will pick up the next in this series titled The Delicate Storm.  I really want to revisit this Canadian town.

15 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this. I tend not to read these kinds of books because of the cringe-inducing violence, brutality etc. Vanilla/chocolate, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary ~ Yep! However, I honestly don't like to read that stuff - but I LOVE the chase and the intensity of novels like this. I wonder how much impact the descriptive violence has on the intensity. Can a book have intensity without it? I'm thinking yes, but I don't have an example. I'm sure I have read books that have been intense and thrilling without the descriptive violence. Unless it is the shock value of those type of scenes that throw me into the intense mode. Blah. I don't like that reason. I really do not like those scenes; however, it is better for me to read them, than watch them. While reading, I can somewhat gloss over it, but watching it - that causes it to become ingrained in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely skip this one. Cringe-inducing violence tends to give me nightmares. I enjoyed your review, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love cringe-inducing thrillers!!!! This sounds great!

    I'll have to give this a go, I've also yet to find a good Canadian thriller author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookfool ~ I understand why it would be a skip for you. The visuals would be too much for me.

    Nicola ~ We were commenting on each other's blog at the same time! Too funny.

    I was eager to get going at one point, so I felt it was a bit sluggish, but over all I enjoyed the police procedural. And there were good side plots as well. I can't wait to read what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The gruesome nature sounds a bit like our pal, Cody McFadyen. Is the book as good as any of his?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les ~ After thoughtful deliberation, I would have to answer "NO". I found Cody's gruesomeness to represent more of a devastating emotional trauma vs Giles who delivers more of a shock, although, there certainly is a crossover between two. That's just how they affected me - everybody is different. I was more connected and immersed in Cody's books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you ended up liking this, or mostly anyway. I don't really like violence either but if it's an important part of the story, then I usually have no problem with it. Sounds like I should try Cody McFayden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tanabata ~ Oh I'm so glad you stopped by. I thought this one was very good - really. :)

    I've read some negative reviews of Cody's books and can't fathom why. Although, they are "bad" in both senses of the word. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had my eye on this one for awhile now. It definitely is up my alley. Thanks for the great review, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Literary Feline ~ I'm eager to get to the 2nd one in the series, but I know it's going to be a long time before I do. I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good thriller but you are right they can be a bit tense. I've not tried anything by Blunt but heard his books are quite good. I'm putting this one on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Iliana ~ My first experience with his writing is definitely positive. I'm excited about reading the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My son and I have read every Giles Blunt novel as they came out and never been disappointed. This is the only one I remember that kind of graphic violence in. It did win awards and his writing is better than most mysteries I think. I've just read his latest, No Such Creature, I have to review it for LT. There are a couple of scenes of violence in it too, thankfully they don't last very long. And this is a departure for him, a stand alone story. Thanks for reviewing this. I hope you'll try his others in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandra ~ Oh yes, I will definitely move along in this series. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!