Monday, November 03, 2008

BIG CITY BAD BLOOD

Author:  Sean Chercover
Genre:  Crime Novel
Published:  2007
Personal Rating:  4/5
Yearly Count:  140



Once a Chicago reporter, now a private investigator, Ray Dudgeon is hired to protect a Hollywood manager, Bob Loniski, from the bad guys.  The real B-A-D bad guys.  The guys that are part of Chicago's organized crime, type of bad guys, and all because Bob saw something he shouldn't have.  Ray discovers a whole boat load of trouble as he gets in-between the two.

This was a very good debut and well-deserving of the Shamus Award that Chercover recently won for the Best PI First Novel.  The main character, Ray, is a tough character, yet with a soft side, too.  His sense of humor was appealing to me and his two buddies added some depth.  I ended up getting somewhat tired of people teaching each other lessons, but overall a very good suspenseful read - well done.  The second in the series Trigger City just came out last month (October, 2008).

4 comments:

  1. I've gotten so many good recommendations from you for mystery series. And I'm so far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Framed ~ I've read a lot of new-to-me series this year, but I don't think I'll ever catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm - looks promising

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suzi ~ I passed it on to my husband because I knew he'd like it even more than I did - and he did! :) I plan to read the second one in early 2009, so that I can keep up with this series. I think, you'd think, it was a worthy read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!