Thursday, May 14, 2009

THE SCARECROW

Author: Michael Connelly
Genre: Thriller, Series #2
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4/5
Yearly Count: 59



Going out with a bang is what Jack McEvoy decides to do right after he is informed that he is laid off from his job as a newspaper reporter. His "bang" is going to be the best story of his journalistic career. Jack begins by following a lead to reveal someone's innocence and then, uncovers someone else's guilt.

What I liked best about this book was the journalistic angle. It was interesting to learn the jargon and the general goings-on in the newspaper business. Also, I thoroughly enjoyed being by Jack's side as he discovered new information.

The main character, Jack, happens to be the reporter from Connelly's book The Poet. I didn't read The Poet, but I did read The Narrows, which follows it (didn't know that at the time - oops). However, it is not necessary to be familiar with Jack - The Scarecrow definitely stands on its own.



Thank you, Miriam, from Hachette Book Group for sending me this ARC. I'm grateful! The Scarecrow will be released on May 26, 2009.

11 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ It's a good solid story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Poet but not The Narrows. I love Jack!
    I will look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep meaning to try one of his books. I've heard that they are good, fast-paced reads. I know I have The Poet somewhere in the stacks but glad to know they can be read as standalones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read this author before, but the journalistic angle has me intrigued. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our local paper gave this a pretty good review today. Sounds like you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy ~ Oh good! You should like this one, then.

    Iliana ~ This one supposedly is a standalone. It just has references to The Poet. I believe The Poet should be read before The Narrows, though. I've read other Connelly books and have been pleased every time.

    Molly ~ I loved learning about the newspaper business. I didn't know much, so it was all interesting. :)

    Mary ~ Yep! I thought it was very good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried anything by Connelly before although I've thought about it. Sounds like this one is a good one. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dar ~ I think he's a good, stable and steady writer.

    Also, I don't know if you are aware, but I added *Recommended By: Dar on my Still Life post. I forgot when I originally published it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous6:37 PM

    I read The Poet and really liked it, but haven't read the second one with Jack yet. I have to say it's hard for a new reader to follow the right timeline when authors randomly use characters from other books without making it a series. It frustates me when I read them out of order! Thanks for the heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stacybuckeye ~ I'm with you on reading books in order; however, I still mess up on occasion. :( This was perfectly fine as a standalone, but is it really when Jack is the main character?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!