Wednesday, June 24, 2009

FRAGMENT ~ Mr. Joy's Thoughts

Author: Warren Fahy
Genre: Suspense, Standalone
Published: 2009
Mr. Joy's Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Guest Appearances: 1



I requested this book for Mr. Joy (my husband) when I noticed that there was reference made to Jurassic Park. After reading more about it, I thought it was a perfect fit - and I was right! :)

After he read it, I asked (out of courtesy to the publishers that provided this ARC) if he would write something up regarding his thoughts on the book. He agreed.


From the cover:
The time is now. The place is the Trident, a long-range research vessel hired by the reality show Sealife. Aboard is a cast of ambitious young scientists. With a director thirsting for drama, tiny Henders Island might be just what the show needs. Until the first scientist sets foot on Henders -- and the ultimate test of survival begins.

For this is not a lost world frozen in time, an island of mutants, or a lab where science has gone mad: this is Earth as it might have looked after evolving on a separate path for half a billion years. Here scientists will stumble on something more shocking than anything humanity has ever encountered: because among the terrors of Henders Island, one life form defies any scientific theory -- and must be saved at any cost.

As brilliantly imagined as Jurassic Park and The Ruins, Fragment is guaranteed to be summer '09's powerhouse suspense debut.

So . . . in the same vein as I write my posts, here is Mr. Joy in his first appearance on my blog - sharing his thoughts on Fragment:

A hot new reality show follows a group of hip, young scientists on their research ship out on the high seas. The group responds to a distress signal coming from what they think is a deserted island paradise. It doesn’t take very long to shatter those illusions.

From the book cover I thought this sounded like an interesting read and after the first few chapters it evolved into a compelling and intriguing drama that I just couldn’t put down. It has a great cast of characters, the opportunistic environmentalist, the fame crazed TV journalist, the endearing and earnest scientists and nature as it could be in the isolation of a kill or be killed world. I’m no biologist, but the science was believable and the story line was plausible. This debut novel kept me guessing and coming back for more. I can't wait to see what this author has for us next.


Thank you, Random House, Inc. for providing this ARC. Fragment was released on June 16, 2009.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:41 PM

    I love when the Mr.'s review! Thanks to Mr. Joy I have a book idea for my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacybuckeye ~ Oh yay!!! I hope your husband likes it as much as mine, if he gets to it. Mr. Joy really did have a hard time putting it down - I'm a witness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could get my hubby to write a review! This looks like a book my husband and son would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr. Joy! What a fun little post. I enjoyed reading your husband's thoughts on the book and he really has me intrigued. Wonder if this is something mine would enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Mr. Joy's for his first review!This one has a "Lost" kind of feel to it and I bet that it will appeal to those who like that show and Jurassic Park.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion ~ He didn't want to. That's why I told him to do it like mine - short, sweet and painless. I'm glad he did it. :)

    Trish ~ :) Mr. Joy really was engaged. If your husband is a reader, pass it by him. Amazon has a rating of 4.5/5 with 53 reviews.

    Bonnie ~ He watches Lost (I don't), so you may be right. I didn't ask him about that.

    BTW - I used your husband as an example that other husbands write up posts. Tell your husband thanks - from me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!