Thursday, June 04, 2009

HOLD TIGHT

Author: Harlan Coben
Genre: Thriller, Standalone
Published: 2008
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Yearly Count: 68



Mike and Tia Baye, of Glen Rock, New Jersey (just outside of New York), struggle with their 16-year-old son who is withdrawing after the suicide of a friend. What do they do? Do they intervene? Do they let his grieving emotions take their course? Concurrently, the city is struggling with their discoveries of tortured, then murdered woman adding even more angst to the Baye's life.

Hold Tight reminded me of a flow chart of life: if you do this, then life goes down this path - if not, then life takes the other path. But then, you have to add in the randomness that appears and it can change your life onto yet another path. Decisions we make do affect our life, of course, but we truly never know what would have happened if we did the opposite of our original choice. This book does a fabulous job of exploring those type of issues amongst family and city events that slowly merge together by the end. Even with the many subplots, much of this book was extremely realistic and very relatable, especially if you are a parent.

I don't think there's been a book by Harlan Coben that I haven't liked. He is definitely a solid, dependable author for me. I've never been disappointed. Do you have any authors like that?

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review. I've had this book on my TBR for a while. I think I'll bump it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my bookshelf. Can't decide whether to read it soon or save it for vacation . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harlan Coben is one of those authors for me too Joy. I've enjoyed everything I've read by him. I'm glad you liked this one, so did I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth F ~ I hope you like it. There are a lot of subplots that are intricately woven together. He's good.

    Suzi ~ Whenever you choose, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I was really drawn to the realistic nature of the questions explored.

    Dar ~ Hey - is that a new picture? Looks nice whether it is or not. :) Do you have a review of this book on your blog? I'll come by and check - watch, I probably even commented. Too many blogs and book reviews to remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, yes that's a new pic. I hope to get some new ones taken in the next while. Anyhow, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I can always count on Harlan Coben. I also find I'm almost always pleased with Dennis Lehane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read one Coben book so far but look forward to more great books by him. Thanks for this recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been meaning to try a Harlan Coben book for a while. I have The Innocent in my TBR pile - I need to try to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dar ~ You're welcome.

    Pam ~ I know my husband has read some by Dennis Lehane, but I don't think any have made it into my hands. Hmmmm

    Framed ~ If you have the time, he's worth reading. :)

    Bermudaonion ~ I haven't read that one, nor do I have it, so you'll probably get to it sooner than I. Hope it's a winner for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know if I've ever read an author that I've liked or loved every single one of his/her works--I guess maybe because I'm constantly comparing back to what I've previously read? My parents really like Harlan Coben, so I've been meaning to pick up one of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trish ~ I haven't loved every single book by an author, but I have liked a lot by many authors. Certainly some are better than others, but it's always nice to come back to an author you can rely on for a good read. Coben is one of them for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!