Monday, June 22, 2009

HOW NOT TO LOOK OLD

Author: Charla Krupp
Genre: Non-Fiction (beauty)
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 4.5/5 (excellent)
Yearly Count: 77



From the back cover:

RIGHT NOW, ARE YOU WEARING . . .

Too-short bangs . . . Granny glasses . . . Dark lipstick . . . Cakey foundation . . . Fake nails . . . A matchy-matchy outfit . . . Blue eye shadow . . . Baggy jeans?
All these things scream "Old Lady" to the world.
Look younger and hipper - right now!

Because looking great is critical to every woman's personal and financial survival, Charla Krupp offers a comprehensive plan to keep you in the game. Acclaimed by the press, her runaway bestseller has already helped hundreds of thousands of women. Now updated with new product and salon recommendations, as well as lists of go-to experts, her book, more than ever, teaches you how to look younger and hipper - and still appropriate. Discover:

* 10 things you can do in the next 10 minutes to take off 10 years

* What's too young, what's too old, what's just right

* When you should (and shouldn't) spend the big bucks

* The top 25 clothes that just gotta go

* High - , Medium - , and low - price options

* "Brilliant Buys" - shopping lists of products that really deliver

. . . and advice from Charla's A-list of hair pros, makeup artists, designers, dermatologists, cosmetic dentists, and personal shoppers.



What a wonderful surprise this book turned out to be! I did not request it, but I'm so glad to have received it. (Is someone trying to tell me something?!?) Anyway, I've been reading a little bit here and a little bit there, and have absorbed all sorts of fun little facts and ideas along the way. It is overflowing with fantastic ideas that can fit everybody's financial situation and to top it all off - it was simply a fun book to read!

Charla has a down-to-earth, matter-of-fact manner of speaking that can help any woman feel better and look better. She often uses herself as an example, but also points out well-known celebrities. Most of the tips are geared towards 40 - 60 year olds, but there are plenty examples and suggestions for those women in their 30s to maintain or ward off some of the natural aging process. It's definitely a book that I will keep as a treasured reference to assist me in not looking old. :)



This came out at approximately the same time as another 'beauty' book, so I believe credit goes to Anna from Hachette Book Group. Thank you so much, Anna. I truly enjoyed this gem.

10 comments:

  1. I definitely need this book! I won it but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm glad to see it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this book was excellent (especially the makeup tips). I also liked the clothing tips a lot. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ I don't think you will be disappointed. :)

    Diane ~ It really was well done, wasn't it? I haven't read a book like this (just magazine articles) and I'm so glad I did. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I could use some of these tips - I'm the one in the baggy jeans! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanna ~ LOL! :) I'd say that I WAS matchy-matchy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too-short bangs . . . Granny glasses . . . Dark lipstick . . . Cakey foundation . . . Fake nails . . . A matchy-matchy outfit . . . Blue eye shadow . . . Baggy jeans?

    I can honestly say, no, no, no, no, no! Phew! But this does sound like something I'd like to read. I've seen it on the shelves at work and may have to give it a longer perusal. Thanks for the review, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les ~ I liked that Charla Krupp put a lot of her personality into it. It was very enjoyable to read. And, you seem to be doing very well with not looking old - good for you! I on the other hand wore suits and still have them in my closet! Eeeek! Apparently that matchy-matchy business is not a good thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. At 27 I feel like I need to be proactive about my skin and body, but it's just too overwhelming. :P Guess I shouldn't wait until it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trish ~ I remember one line mentioning the fact that women that look old are just lazy. Lazy because they leave their make-up on when they go to bed. It makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops--I may do that. But since I just wear mascara and sometimes blush I don't feel too bad. Stupid getting old! :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!