Friday, October 09, 2009

PRAYERS FOR SALE

Author: Sandra Dallas
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating: 3.5/5 (good)
Yearly Count: 120



Hennie Comfort and Nit Spindle find themselves in the mining town of Middle Swan, Colorado during the depression. Hennie, who is an older woman and has lived in Middle Swan for decades, befriends newcomer Nit as she settles in with her husband in a home nearby. As the two become acquainted Hennie shares her knowledge of the town and eventually her life stories.

Hennie tells numerous stories - each being unique and interesting. They focused on her family, the townspeople, and general experiences throughout her lifetime which included some twists and turns. She was a nice and proper character of that time period. The charm of the book was in the present day (in the book) as we watch the friendship grow between Hennie and Nit. Quilting and mining played an important role as well.

Even with the stories being interesting, I got tired of, "Would you like to hear a story?" Other than that, no major complaints - it was good. Sandra Dallas does a great job depicting the timeframe in her stories.

4 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about this one, Joy, so am glad to see your review. I love the title. It does sound like an interesting book and one I might like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. Like you said I got a little tired of the "would you like to hear a story?" line ... but other than that it was fun. I loved Sandra Dallas' recent book "Tallgrass" much more ... but all books can't be equal I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this book as well as Tallgrass by the same author. Have you read Tallgrass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Literary Feline ~ Sandra Dallas makes all of the characters very authentic which really makes the book. And, of course, her storytelling ability is nothing to sneeze at. :)

    Mollie ~ Me, too! This was actually short stories originally and the publisher told Dallas that she needed to meld them together to make a book. I didn't find that out until afterwards, so her infamous line was a connector! Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

    Diane ~ I loved Tallgrass! My comment above to Mollie explains more of where I think this one went wrong for me. It was still good, but . . .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!