Tuesday, September 07, 2010

THIS WORLD WE LIVE IN

Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Genre: YA Science Fiction, Trilogy #3
Published: 2010
Personal Rating: 1.5/5 (ugh)
Yearly Count: 80


A year has gone by after a meteor struck the moon, and the Evans family is still trying to cope with the devastation all around them. There is a meager amount of food and very few people in their surrounding area, so they begin to venture out of the neighborhood to gather supplies for their survival. Eventually, more family members arrive on their doorstep along with a few others in tow.

I've been led to believe that The Last Survivors was a trilogy, so I think it's fair to say that this is the last one. If it's not, it is still the end of the line for me. The every day mode of survival was what I enjoyed the most, but there were major parts of the plot that were just plain silly, and I couldn't buy in. Then came the ending - not enjoyable. At all. It actually made me reconsider my rating from a 2 (not enjoyable) to a 1.5 (ugh). The more I think about it, the more I want to lower my rating again, so I need to stop thinking about it now before it goes into the negative numbers.

8 comments:

  1. I know this trilogy has been wildly popular, but I have a feeling I'd react the same way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's too bad. I read the first book and loved it, a lot. I've read mixed reviews on the second book, which I understand is not so much a sequel, but a parallel (same incident, different city and family).
    On to another better book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion ~ I took the chance that the third would be a winner. Oh well.

    Raidergirl3 ~ I loved the first one, too! I gave the second one a 2/5, just like this one would have received if not for the ending. And, yes - onward I go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at the first book on audio at the library. Still not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.5??? Oh no! Well, I haven't read book 2 yet so I am sure that this one will be years down the road for me to get to. What a bummer that it rated so dismally for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nise' ~ Welcome to Thoughts of Joy, and thanks for commenting!

    I listened to all three and really enjoyed the first. Go for it! :) None of them are long, so it won't take up too much time if you don't Iike it.

    Staci ~ In general, it's not as bad as the actual rating makes it out to be, but the ending (especially) made me angry! And I'm not talking about an ambiguous ending or anything along those lines; there was an event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series has been on my want to read list since it first came out, but now you've really got me wanting to read it just to see why you didn't like it so much (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicola ~ I knew that would get a fire under somebody! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!