Thursday, January 06, 2011

EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

Author: Jonathan Safron Foer
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2005
Personal Rating: 3/5 (just okay)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count: 1



Oskar Schell is a precocious, nine year old boy whose father died in the 9/11 attack. Oskar finds a key that he deems as a clue from his dad and searches New York for its lock to solve the puzzle.

That description sounds rather simple, but the book is far from simple. There are several stories being told at the same time, it's filled with an array of emotions, and the writing style consists of a mixture of letters, pictures and stories. I found it to be a little confusing to follow at first, thus creating a disinterested reader. It almost became a DNF after only 1 CD, but I stuck it out and have to admit that there were some scenes that I adored, but most others were, well . . . whatever. In the long run, it's sad to say, but I was not impressed.

6 comments:

  1. You know, I've said so many times--I LOVE this book but I don't know who I'd recommend it to. I just can't place my finger on who will like it. My mom, after seeing my 2010 overview post, said she would like this book and I think she'll fall into the same boat as you. Though--I do think listening to this book would be very tough. Win some, lose some right?

    PS--I didn't have a chance to respond back to your return comment about the scrapbooks you're creating. I think that's fantastic and they'll love them. I especially love the sisters one as I have two close sisters of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad - I had high hopes for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I LOVED this... I have my review scheduled for later this week. It definitely is one of those that not everyone would be into. But I also think this one would definitely not be the same in audio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the same thing as Trish -- that listening to this book would be challenging. So much of its magic, for me, was the visual element. Did you have access to the pictures while listening?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trish ~ I wish I loved it. I love when people get all googly over books, so I'm glad you did. :) The audio could have been disastrous being that there was a child narrator, but the voice worked out very well; however, not following the visuals was detrimental. I did get the book, but by that time I was towards the end of the audio. At the very least, my curiosity has been quenched. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion ~ Don't give up hope. Many have loved it and you may too. If you do get to it, I suggest you read it and not listen to it.

    Jenny ~ Audio was definitely not the best choice, but I didn't know about the visuals until I was well into the book. Unfortunately, my opinion was pretty much already solidified by the time I got the book. I'm glad you loved it, though.

    Charley ~ I didn't have the visuals until too late. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!