Friday, January 14, 2011

MINI SHOPAHOLIC

Author:  Sophie Kinsella
Genre:  Chick Lit,
Becky Bloomwood Series #6
Published:  2010
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  2



Minnie, now 2, has become a bit of a handful and has picked up some of Becky's shopping desires.  When the family faces a national financial crisis, a whole new meaning to following a budget is in store for the Brandons.  

For the most part I have always considered this series to be filled with fun, silly shopping escapades.  Becky always manages to plunge herself into numerous holes and then lies, manipulates and deceives to weasel her way out of them.  Her mode of deception has not been mean-spirited, though, and let's remember that she's just a chick lit character.  However, in this book I experienced a major flaw - the use of the "f-bomb."  I didn't care for it at all.  It no longer felt silly or light-hearted, and it tainted my feelings towards Luke (Becky's husband).  That was a big disappointment.

On a good note, I was consistently grinning, smirking or giving a quick shake of my head at Becky's thinking.  Chick lit is not a preferred genre of mine, but this series has continually brought pure, nonsensical enjoyment. I think Becky is such a nutty, lovable character, and the narrator's portrayal of her on the audiobook is fabulous.

Based on the title of this book, I was concerned that the amount of Minnie's talking was going to put me off, but I found her vocal contributions were contained mainly to the word "mine," so her appearances didn't annoy me.  Also, the book was more about an event that Becky is going to host rather than Minnie being a mini-shopaholic.

7 comments:

  1. My mom read this book and enjoyed it and I have her copy now. Hopefully I'll get to her copy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, yes, maybe audio is the way to go on these! Although, the use of the f word always surprises me much more when I hear it spoken out loud rather than written on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read the first one. And yes I took them as just fun books too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm out of the loop -- I had no idea this book even came out! I've added it to my list of books to read. Thanks for your review, Joy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bermudaonion ~ Hope it's fun for you. Becky's quite a character.

    Trish ~ I'm the same way regarding the swearing. I don't think I read any of these. The love the audio - give one a try. :)

    Staci ~ It's nice to have some fluff (chick lit) books that I actually enjoy.

    Cassie ~ I wait for my library system to have the audio version. Have you read/listened to them all?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:08 PM

    I read the first of the series and was ho-hum about it, but everyone loves the series so much I might give the second one a try someday,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacybuckeye ~ I have a friend who really enjoys chick lit, but isn't thrilled about this series. Reading is just so subjective.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!