Monday, February 07, 2011

THE HISTORY OF LOVE

Author: Nicole Krauss
Genre: Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2005
Personal Rating: 3/5 (just okay)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count: 11



As a young man, Leo seeks his past love and immigrates to the United States to find her.  Over 60 years has passed and a teenager named Alma is in search of her namesake from the book The History of Love.  In addition to dealing with other family problems, Alma continues on her quest until she finds some answers.

I was in and out of love with this book. I loved Leo, the older man and all that surrounded him, but did not love Alma, the teenager and all that surrounded her. The "Leo chapters" were captivating, as well as endearing. George Guidall, the audiobook narrator, did a phenomenal job portraying him.  I could listen to him all day as Leo.

As for the plot, bringing two strangers together wasn't odd, but I thought it was strange in how their lives eventually intertwined.  Too convenient?  Too unrealistic?  I'm not sure, but I didn't like it.  Also, I became confused from time to time, but just hoped it would all come together in the end. It was uncomfortable to not be fully aware of the who, what and wheres of the story line; however, I had times when I thought the plot was clever and intriguing.  Again, in and out of love, hence the middle of the road rating.

9 comments:

  1. Hmmm, just ok, eh? Well, I've had this in my stacks for a long time and keep meaning to read it and I still plan to. I'll let ya know what I think. Maybe this will be one of those I like more than you. We shall see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After loving Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close this one was recommended to me several times over (authors are married!). My friend Laura also recently read it and said she thought I'd like it, so there is sits on my living room floor. Here's to hoping I'm more on one side of the road than the other. ;) Sounds like more than anything it just wasn't consistent for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les ~ I hope you enjoy it more than me. Like I said, it was on and off for me. Did you read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Foer)? It has the same feel and similarish :) plot lines.

    Trish ~ You, my dear, will probably really enjoy it because of your experience with EL&IC. And, yes! I learned that they were married soon after I finished it and it made sense. Leo is the character that saved the book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, never read Extremely Loud... should I?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry you didn't really like this one - I loved it. Read it twice but now I want to listen to it. I agree about Leo being such a wonderful character. I thought there was a similar feel to EL&IC, too, tho I liked History of Love much better. I kind of liked the feeling of confusion because it drove my intense desire to understand what the ties were between the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this one a while back and remember really enjoying it. In fact, I think I may have shed a tear or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Les ~ According to Trish (above), the answer would be a resounding yes! But, you're asking me. I will say it this way - it is not a book I will recommend ever. It's not bad, but it wasn't something I could rave about. The two books are very similar, that's why I asked.

    Booklogged ~ It's great to see you! I hope all is well for you and Candleman. I understand the desire to understand, but it didn't happen for me with this book. I think it's great that you loved it. :)

    Staci ~ You weepy woman you. :) I wish I liked it more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fell in love with Leo and really enjoyed this one. I can see your point about being in and out of love with it because there were times I wasn't sure Krauss would win me back, but she did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stacybuckeye ~ Thank goodness for Leo! H e seems to be a popular character. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!