Wednesday, February 02, 2011

THE WEDNESDAY WARS

Author:  Gary D. Schmidt
Genre:  YA Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2007
Personal Rating:  3.5/5 (good)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  9


During the 60's, Holling is attending the 7th grade at a Long Island public school.  Being that he does not attend Catholic or Jewish afternoon classes on Wednesdays, he has to spend his time with Mrs. Baker, his classroom teacher.  The teacher that hates his guts.

Collings was an adorable character. There were some moments that warmed my heart, made me giggle, and ones that were relatable. However, even with all the positive emotions, I didn't find the story all that compelling.  It's an award winner, so don't mind me.





7 comments:

  1. I loved this book - sorry it didn't speak to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bermudaonion ~ The beginning had great potential, but it never took me anywhere special. I did enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first that I've heard of this book. It sounds interesting but I'm not quite sure if I would enjoy it. Guess I'll just add it to the TBR list and see for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of this one on the library shelves at school. Maybe I will check it out, but remember just because it won an award doesn't always mean that it's a good read. I hated Criss Cross which was a Newbery book a few years back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha.1020 ~ It's an award winner, so it's highly regarded. If you pickmit up, I hope you love it.

    Nise' ~ I hope it's a winner for you. :)

    Staci ~ Unfortunately, too often my experience has been that the "winners" are not winners to me, but this one has gotten high ratings elsewhere.

    You mentioned Criss Cross. I thought that was a new book? I think I had it as an eBook, but it expired before I got to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci ~ I just looked it up and the book I was referring to is Cryer's Cross (McMann). So there was no connection. Sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!