Tuesday, May 24, 2011

BEL CANTO

Author:  Ann Patchett
Genre:  Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2001
Personal Rating:  3.25/5 (just okay +)
Format:  Audiobook
Yearly Count:  40


A famous opera singer is invited to perform at the home of the country's vice-president for a birthday celebration of a visiting Japanese business man.  Other hidden, unwanted guests have different plans for the evening.

Yay! Another book to remove from my TBR shelves!  I started this years ago, but set it aside because at the time I did not know it was a quieter read and simply didn't have the patience for it.  This time around I picked it up as an audiobook and think that was the best choice for me.  However, I never really connected with the characters.  I was more wrapped up in how odd I thought they all were for being in such awe of a person who could sing.

The talents that some people possess are absolutely astounding, and I do appreciate them.  I actually get goose bumps or have been known to stand before someone with my jaw down on the floor, so I do understand the emotions and the reverence someone can have towards others.  However, I don't believe that just because they are gifted at something, that they should be treated any differently.  I had a difficult time getting away from that thought throughout the book, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked.


10 comments:

  1. I'm so with you on that opinion but it seems like it's done everywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:31 PM

    I read this one several years ago and liked it quite a bit. I went on to read at least one more book by Patchett, maybe more. I know I read her mother's books - Jeanne Ray - liked those a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staci ~ Unfortunately, it is.

    Kay ~ This was my first Patchett. And that's news to me about Jeanne Ray! I've read a couple of hers and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read about 4 or 5 Patchett books in the past and liked most of them a lot. This one has escaped me, although it has sat on my shelf unread for several years. Sorry it wasn't better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane ~ What was your favorite Patchett book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book! It's been seven years since I read it, but I can still picture many of the scenes. I wound up giving it a perfect 5/5 and according to my reading journal, it was the best book I read in 2004. I wrote about it here, if you're interested, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember really liking this one but I don't remember why anymore. I think I liked that it was quiet--more of a character study. I do remember not liking what happened at the very end, though. Seemed weird to me. I recommend it to my sister, though, and she hated it. So... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Les ~ Yes, I am interested in what you wrote. I'm curious as to what touched you. I'll be by soon.

    Trish ~ I was in the right mood for a character study, but I guess I just didn't care for the characters that were studied. lol I didn't hate it, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Amazon's ratings of 649 people give it a 3.5, so I'm sitting with the crowd on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:47 PM

    It was a quiet read. I applaud you for getting through the audio. I tried but had to switch the paper. I agree with you about Roxanne, but I pictured her as a woman with a presence. Like if 40 men were locked in a house with Angelina Jolie or something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stacybuckeye ~ LOL You make a very good point, Stacy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!