Wednesday, September 14, 2011

THE DARKEST PLACE

Author: Daniel Judson
Genre: Mystery, Standalone
Published:  2006
Personal Rating: 4/5 (very good)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count:  77



Four years after the drowning death of his son, Deacon Kane continues to struggle as he tries to keep his own head above water.  His life is a shambles.  When, and if, he makes it in to work, he teaches writing and creative lit at the local university.  Which happens to be the same place where male students are being abducted and found drowned.

I will definitely be reading more Judson.  (I picked up another book of his at the Borders sale for 90% off!)  The plot in The Darkest Place was not simple, and the characters were not cookie-cutter.  I liked that.  The setting felt a bit ominous and cold, which created a dark and moody place.  I liked that, too.  However, I didn't like the fact that Judson had a tendency to overwrite some scenes.  There was way too much detail or repetition, and I just wanted to move on.  Also, I never had any great affinity towards any character, but was curious about them and wanted to know what was going to happen.  Who really were the good guys and the bad?  I was never certain until the end.  

      

2 comments:

  1. This one looks good. I came home with way too many books from Border's in the last month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacybuckeye ~ I shop at a lot of library sales, so newish books for $1 aren't hard to find. It's finding newly published titles for cheap that was extremely exciting at Borders. :) I waited until they were 80-90% off before I got a good arm full.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!