Thursday, January 12, 2012

BLOOD RED ROAD

Author: Moira Young
Genre: YA Fiction, Dustlands Series #1
Published: 2011
Personal Rating: 3/5 (just okay)
Format: Audiobook
Yearly Count: 4


Set in some type of dystopian time-frame, Saba's teen-aged, twin brother, Lugh, is kidnapped and she will do anything to save him. 

The main character, Saba, was the biggest obstacle that stood in my way of really enjoying this book. As the story progresses, she changes and grows, but she didn't change quick enough. I also was extremely annoyed with her saying, "I says" instead of "I said," and the swearing, in general, was unnecessary. Putting all of that aside (although, very difficult to do), I thought the story line was okay. I did want to know why and how Saba was going to save her brother; however, it was not all I had hoped it would be.

8 comments:

  1. swearing bothers me in YA fiction and sometimes it's possible to get over but when you're listening to an audiobook and actually being sworn at, that must definitely be a different experience! Not sure how I would handle that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It being YA and an audiobook made for an unpleasant experience actually listening to the swearing.

      Delete
  2. Is "I says" part of the dialect?

    I just heard of this one for the first time--a rave, of course. And compared to Hunger Games. Is every YA author doing series now?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was one other word that was altered or just used in an odd way (that I remember), but not as frequently. If you consider 2 warped words as "dialect" then I guess so. I considered it annoying. To be fair, I listened to the book, so I didn't hear anything else odd. The writing (spelling) could have been a mess which could create a goofy dialect. Hunger Games was much more sophisticated and nothing compares to it . . . yet.

      Delete
  3. Hmm...I'm still on the fence if I want to read this one or not. I've read a variety of reviews on it...it looks like I will just have to grab a copy from the library and see for myself :) Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha ~ I believe I'm in the minority, so y'all will probably love it. :) I hope you do.

      Delete
  4. I love your reviews...so with that said, I will pass on this one and only put down on my TBR list your 4+ books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci ~ Honestly, I don't think it's worth your time. That'll leave more room for your Darcy books! Right? :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!