Sunday, January 22, 2012

TEACHING WITH POVERTY IN MIND

Author:  Eric Jensen
Genre:  Non-Fiction, Standalone
Published: 2009
Personal Rating:  4/5 (very good)
Format:  Book
Yearly Count: 6


The subtitle does the job of sharing its actual content: What Being Poor Does to Kids' Brains and What Schools Can Do About It.

I read this for our District-Wide Book Study. It definitely had some interesting and eye-opening stats, but there wasn't any revelations regarding teaching techniques. However, revisiting this topic is never wasted time, so I'm glad I participated and will take a refreshed attitude about our students.


4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...I may know a few people who need to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci ~ Even though poverty stems from no money, the effects are much more profound on the minds of our students. We need to do everything possible to fill in the gaps.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:55 PM

    Sad to think about, but interesting too. Too bad it didn't offer more concrete help for educators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye ~ I've been in a different district for the last 3 years and boy have my eyes been opened! The book really did offer concrete help, but we already know it. BUT - a good reminder nonetheless.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!