Tuesday, July 24, 2012

THE PROPHET

Author:  Michael Koryta
Genre:  Thriller, Standalone
Published:  2012
Personal Rating:  4.25/5 (very good +)
Format:  eBook
Yearly Count:  65


From NetGalley:
"I wonder if you possibly believed it when you looked into my eyes and told me that you had already passed your greatest test, that forgiving the man who raped and murdered your sister was that test. I disagreed with you then. I still do, coach. There are greater tests coming."

Two brothers in a small Midwestern town: one the high school's beloved football coach on the verge of a state championship, one scraping by as a bail bondsman. Their sister was abducted and murdered when they were teenagers, and they've been divided since that day. Now a new killing with ties to each of them has forced a painful and adversarial reunion.

I discovered Koryta when I found his name on the 2003 Winner of the Private Eye Writers of America list.  I really enjoyed that first book and eventually read the second in that series, but wasn't as enthralled.  Since then he has really made a name for himself, but I have stalled -- until The Prophet appeared on NetGalley.  

Not only did I thoroughly enjoy the plot of The Prophet, but I loved getting a football fix.  The plot had unexpected moments and kept me on my toes.  I never knew for sure where it was going.  I did guess correctly regarding much of the football action, but loved it despite knowing.

There were many relationships explored with a variety of characters that kept every chapter interesting and the pages turning.  I'm so glad to have revisited Koryta's work!  





My thanks go to Little, Brown & Company and NetGalley for providing me with this eGalley. The Prophet is scheduled to be published on August 7, 2012.

8 comments:

  1. I love Koryta's work and look forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ I'm so happy that I've rekindled a spark for his work. I hope to attempt another one in a few months.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:38 AM

    Thanks Joy...can't wait to read this one. I am reading Sandra Brown's Lethal right now...really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle ~ I've read two novels by Brown and surprisingly enjoyed them both. I'm not a romance reader, so I didn't expect to like them at all; however, she does suspense very well! I hope Lethal is a winner for you! :)

      Delete
  3. This is a new-to-me author. Will have to check him out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola ~ Oh good! I hope you enjoy his writing.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:44 PM

    An author I've been wanting to try and a standalone would be best for me. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye ~ I think this would be a great place to start! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!