Sunday, January 19, 2014

THE PURITY OF VENGEANCE

Author:  Jussi Adler-Olsen
Genre:  Thriller, Department Q Series #4
Published:  2013
Personal Rating:  4.25/5 (very good +)   
Format:  eBook
Yearly Count:  7


From NetGalley:
In 1987, Nete Hermansen plans revenge on those who abused her in her youth, including Curt Wad, a charismatic surgeon who was part of a movement to sterilize wayward girls in 1950s Denmark.

More than twenty years later, Detective Carl Mørck already has plenty on his mind when he is presented with the case of a brothel owner, a woman named Rita, who went missing in the eighties: New evidence has emerged in the case that destroyed the lives of his two partners— the case that sent Carl to Department Q.


But when Carl’s assistants, Assad and Rose, learn that numerous other people disappeared around the same weekend as Rita, Carl takes notice. As they sift through the disappearances, they get closer and closer to Curt Wad, who is more determined than ever to see the vision of his youth take hold and whose brutal treatment of Nete and others like her is only one small part of his capacity for evil.

This series is SO good!!!  I have to admit though, I was a little confused in the beginning and had difficulty settling in.  I'm fairly certainly that was my fault (due to other books going at the same time), and I'm getting a wee bit tired of flashbacks.  Despite that, I knew from the get-go that it was of the same caliber as the others in this series and needed to get past myself.  I was not disappointed!  

Carl, Assad and Rose are such interesting characters (as a team and individually), and their cases are just as intriguing.  Mr. Adler-Olsen keeps you glued to the pages and wanting more.  I can't wait for the next one!

Thoughts of Joy

My thanks go to Penguin Group and NetGalley for providing me with this eGalley.

8 comments:

  1. I've read one book in this series and really liked it. I need to pick up some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ Yes, you do! :) I have really enjoyed all four!

      Delete
  2. I like this series too and need to get caught up. I found that I have to read instead of listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to see your rating on this. I read the third in the series a few weeks ago and thought it was better than the second. Looking forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SuziQoregon ~ HI! :) This is one of my absolute favorite series. I had a hard time in the beginning - probably just me though. Other than that, I thought it was great.

      Delete
  4. This is the second review I've read today singing the praises of this series (different book in the series though). I really need to get a copy of the first book in the series and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literary Feline ~ Yes, you do! :) I hope you love it. It has peculiar characters in it that keep you thinking.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!