Wednesday, July 23, 2014

THE HUNTER


Author:  Richard Stark & Darwyn Cooke
Genre:  Graphic Novel/Fiction, Parker Series #1
Published:  GN 2009,
1962 (2014)
Personal Rating:  2.5/5 (eh)
Format:  Book & eBook
Yearly Count: 52


 From NetGalley:
The Hunter, the first book in the Parker series, is the story of a man who hits New York head-on like a shotgun blast to the chest. Betrayed by the woman he loves and double-crossed by his partner in crime, Parker makes his way cross-country with only one thought burning in his mind — to coldly exact his revenge and reclaim what was taken from him!

Darwyn Cooke has adapted four Parker books as graphic novels so far. The first three, The Hunter, The Outfit, and The Score have all won Eisner and Harvey Awards. Cooke will be providing all-new color illustrations for The Hunter, the first in a series of hardcover prose novels released in chronological order and featuring Cooke's art.

I received this eBook (right-sided pic) from NetGalley.  When I started reading it, I wondered where the pictures were (graphic novel comics) and discovered that it was a book with full-page illustrations, not an actual graphic novel.  I read part and skimmed the rest, then checked out the graphic novel from the library.  (I originally requested it from NetGalley, because I thought it was a graphic novel.)  Ultimately, I was able to compare the two.  The graphic novel did a great job in pulling the story together.

The popularity of the Parker novels was new to me, but once that was clear, I looked forward to meeting Parker. I loved the New York setting, but not the time frame. It's an old gangster type of crime novel (hard-boiled), and that's not for me. Also, I enjoyed the beginning when Parker was getting himself set up, but the rest was just a bunch of shooting.  Parker did not impress me or encourage me to want to learn more about him.

Thoughts of Joy

My thanks go to IDW Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with this eGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!