Saturday, March 28, 2015

THE MARTIAN

Author:  Andy Weir
Genre:  Sci-Fi, Standalone
Published:  2014
Personal Rating:  3.5/5 (good)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/R.C. Bray
Yearly Count:  19


The botanist/engineer member of the Mars mission, Mark Watney, gets stranded on the planet after a dust storm.  

I think I'm the only person on this planet that doesn't think this book is out of this world.  :(  I almost gave up after the first 30 minutes or so, but knew there had to be something more coming (because of all the hype), so I made myself continue on.  One of the greatest adjustments I had to make was to listen differently.  I did not need to follow every ounce or degree or whatever else he was trying to figure out.  The details didn't matter.  Thank goodness, because there were billions of them!!!  

In general, I liked the basic storyline, but overall, it was just "good."  Mark and his quips saved the day.

Thoughts of Joy
  

9 comments:

  1. A friend of mine lent me this book and it's been lingering on my nightstand. I just haven't felt compelled to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ I would have never have made it through had I read it. Good luck! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try this one at some point. Have certainly heard a lot of "loved it" comments about it. Nice to know that the 'quips saved the day'. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay ~ Gotta love quips! :) I would definitely give it a go. I still thought it was good. That's not bad.

      Delete
  3. Yikes. I was actually going to read this, but now I'll hold out for the audio. I have such high hopes after reading so many rave reviews. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ Just prepare yourself for a lot of details/facts and know that there won't be a test afterwards, so you don't have to remember them. :)

      Delete
    2. Good to know, Joy. Thanks for the tip! :)

      Delete
  4. We feel fairly similar, I think. I listened to this one with Scott and actually ended up falling asleep in the middle (roadtrip) and didn't feel like I missed a whole lot. Entertaining for sure but I'm sure i'tll make a better movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish ~ LOL about falling asleep and not missing much! I can assure you, you didn't! And, yes, the movie may be better.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!