Friday, February 12, 2016

YOU CAN TRUST ME

Author:  Sophie McKenzie
Genre:  Thriller, Standalone
Published:  2015
Personal Rating:  3.5/5 (good)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/Marisa Calin
Yearly Count:  10


From NetGalley:
On a quiet, gray, Saturday morning, Livy arrives at her best friend Julia’s flat for a lunch date only to find her dead. Though all the evidence supports it, Livy cannot accept the official ruling of suicide; the Julia she remembers was loud, inappropriate, joyful, outrageous and loving, not depressed. The suspicious circumstances cause Livy to dig further, and she is suddenly forced to confront a horrifying possibility: that Julia was murdered, by the same man who killed Livy's sister, Kara, eighteen years ago.

Desperate to understand the tragedies of her past and hold her unraveling life together, Livy throws herself into the search for Kara and Julia’s killer, who she now believes is someone close to her family. But if that is true, can she still trust anyone? Damien, the man Julia was secretly dating? Leo, her husband’s boss and a close family friend? His son Paul, her husband’s best mate since college? Or even Will, her own dear husband, who has betrayed her perhaps one time too many?

And when Livy finally faces her sister’s killer, and he traps her with one horrible, impossible choice, she must finally decide: is she strong enough to trust herself?

I liked this book better than Close My Eyes (2013).  It kept me unsure of the killer until the revealing, which I appreciated.  The storyline for the most part was pretty solid, but the climax felt over-the-top and formulaic.  Ultimately, I thought it was a good book.  I did enjoy following the clues with Livy.

Thoughts of Joy

My thanks go to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for providing me with the eGalley.
    

4 comments:

  1. Sounds pretty good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ "Pretty good" is right.

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to think if I own this one or just checked it out of the library. I know I returned it unread because 'no time'. Anyway, I also know that I do own Close Your Eyes. I'll start there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay ~ I hope you enjoy them both, if you go that route.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!