Tuesday, April 26, 2016

THE GUEST ROOM

Author:  Chris Bohjalian
Genre:  Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2016
Personal Rating:  3.5/5 (good)
Format/Narrators:  Audiobook/
Marno & Experience
Yearly Count:  26


From NetGalley:
When Richard Chapman offers to host his younger brother's bachelor party, he expects a certain amount of debauchery. He sends his wife, Kristin, and young daughter off to his mother-in-law's for the weekend, and he opens his Westchester home to his brother's friends and their hired entertainment. What he does not expect is this: bacchanalian drunkenness, a dangerously intimate moment in his guest bedroom, and two naked women stabbing and killing their Russian bodyguards before driving off into the night. In the aftermath, Richard's life rapidly spirals into a nightmare. The police throw him out of his home, now a crime scene; his investment banking firm puts him on indefinite leave; and his wife finds herself unable to forgive him for the moment he shared with a dark-haired girl in the guest room. But the dark-haired girl, Alexandra, faces a much graver danger. In one breathless, violent night, she is free, running to escape the police who will arrest her and the gangsters who will kill her in a heartbeat.

I had NO idea what this book was about (common practice for me) and was incredibly shocked at the crude language and topic (not my genre choice).  It definitely is a cautionary tale and one that I did want to see to the end.  There were a few bits that I didn't buy, and I'm not a fan of changing timeframes (which that's all I seem to run into these days!), but in general, it was good.  I do enjoy Bohjalian's writing.  :)

Thoughts of Joy
  
My thanks go to Doubleday Book & NetGalley for providing me with the eGalley.

4 comments:

  1. I liked this a lot more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ I would have rated it higher if I had read it. Listening to the "F" word over and over was too much for me. Highly unnecessary.

      Delete
  2. I just finished listening to this, too. I thought it was very compelling and couldn't stop listening! I thought it was predictable until the end and then I was proved wrong. I enjoy Bohjalian's contemporary works better than his historical fiction and this one didn't disappoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ I love when you don't want to stop. :) I wanted to listen, too, but like I said, the language didn't sit well with me. :(

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!