Wednesday, June 15, 2016

A MAN CALLED OVE

Author:  Fredrik Backman
Genre:  Fiction, Standalone
Published:  2014
Personal Rating:  3/5 (just okay)
Format/Narrator:  Audiobook/
George Newbern
Yearly Count:  36


A Man Called Ove (pronounced ew-va) is about the life of a grumpy, old man.

Oh boy.  I'm feeling like a grumpy reader right now.  I had a love/hate relationship with Ove and the writing.  I did smirk at some of Ove's comments or thoughts, but he never really pulled at my heartstrings.  The writing just had an overwhelming amount of metaphors and similes for my liking and was consumed with blahness.  I can, however, understand how others could love this book.  It just didn't work for me.  I loved the narration, though.  George was great!

Thoughts of Joy


10 comments:

  1. I read this in print and just loved it. Sorry it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bermudaonion ~ Wish I did, too. Oh well. Glad you loved it.

      Delete
  2. Ditto what Kathy said. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les ~ I feel odd about not loving it like everybody else, but it is what it is. I'm not so sure about trying any more by him.

      Delete
    2. I haven't read his other two, but I will eventually.

      Hope you're having a good summer. It's miserably hot here this week. :(

      Delete
    3. Les ~ School's out, so the fun begins! I have so many projects to do in the house that I don't mind if it's hot out. I'll just go out in the am or pm. :)

      Btw - I'm so happy you still have your blog up and running. So many people have shut down. I still read others, I just don't comment often. Not enough time in a day.

      Delete
    4. We've got a lot of projects to tackle, too. Getting ready to put the house on the market next year and retire to Oregon! Scary, but exciting, too.

      Thanks for the kind words about my blog. I keep posting, here and there, but my reviews aren't what they used to be. I mainly keep those going since I want a record of what I've read. Don't worry about not commenting. I know you're out there. :)

      Delete
    5. Expect an email within the next couple of days. :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1:00 PM

    Even though it seemed that so many others loved this one it never really interested me, so it's nice to hear I wasn't wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacybuckeye ~ When sooooooo many people love a book, it's sooooooo hard not to pick it up! : /

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. :)

I hope you have a great day and ...
Happy Reading!